The VG Resource

Full Version: Sony's "Welcome Back" Program - Free 30 days of PlayStation Plus, other goodies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.gamingunion.net/news/sony-ann...-4865.html

Quote:Sony announced tonight at a press conference in Tokyo that the company will be launching a Welcome Back program across PlayStation Network, giving out selected goods to users for free once the network is revived next week.

The program will give all users a month of PlayStation Plus for free, in turn offering "selected PlayStation entertainment content" for free download. Current PS Plus subscribers will receive an additional 30 days of service for free. Sony will announce the details for each region at a later date.

Music Unlimited subscribers will also receive another month of free service (where the service is available).

"This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry," said Kazuo Hirai, Sony Corp's No. 2.

"These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers' information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks.

"Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted. We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation program for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services."

A new firmware update will have to be downloaded once the network goes live next week and users will be prompted to change their passwords. Sony will be performing a phased rollout for some of its services by region, which include restoration of online play across PS3s and PSP, as well as access to Music Unlimited/Qriocity services.

The services that will be available include access to account management/password reset, access to download unexpired movie rentals, PlayStation Home, friends list and chat functionality.

Sony is currently working with Homeland Security and the FBI on tracking down the hacker(s) that attacked PlayStation Network.

Sony technically didn't have to give us shit for the downtime-- but the fact that they are is greatly appreciated. I've honestly always wanted to give PS+ a try, I'm glad I get a free "trial" for it now so I can decide if it's gonna be worth the money.

Unfortunately I know plenty of people that will just use this as another way to take a jab at Sony, but whatever. This is honestly beyond cool with me, getting extra shit aside from just the ability to play games online again.

Thanks, Sony!
Not that I care about PS+, but considering they are actually letting free users give it a try makes me feel more than happy.
Even if I probably won't be using it, I think its pretty cool that Sony would go out of their way to do that. Especially so since they're doing this for free members as well who weren't paying for Plus in the first place.
... Eh. Still don't think it's really that good considering, you know, opening everybody to identity theft.
I'd rather be told about new security and progress on locating who did it.
Speaking of identity theft
i'm not about to get mad about free swag for some downtime that didn't really devastate me

it'll be nice to not have to wait FOREVER to get cool demos at least
(05-01-2011, 11:27 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]... Eh. Still don't think it's really that good considering, you know, opening everybody to identity theft.
I'd rather be told about new security and progress on locating who did it.

I agree, but considering that with similar situations a lot of companies don't give compensation at all its nice to have something at least.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/1...egins-now/

PSN is rebuilt. The service is returning. Check the map to see if your region is back. I assume they're doing America first.
(05-14-2011, 08:00 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: [ -> ]http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/1...egins-now/

PSN is rebuilt. The service is returning. Check the map to see if your region is back. I assume they're doing America first.

According to the blog they're doing it state by state.

In other words, you might have to wait a bit before your PS3 is online again, unless your in the green areas shown on their map.
Glad it's finally up, I'll be playing my PS3 more again. I just wish they went at least one state lower in the north eastern region. Oh well, I'm guessing it'll take around an hour or less for Pennsylvania to regain access, as they said PSN would be back up for the whole US in several hours.

Well it's constant refresh time! While I'm waiting, I think I'm going to pick my hair out again.
So by tomorrow the whole nation is going to be online I assume.

Edit:just updated mine.

if your plan on signing in right away, or at some point later. You will be forced to change your password. Also don't expect to get your PS+ membership started immediately, the PSN store is currently being worked on.
For all who don't know, the Welcome Back package has now been launched.