The VG Resource

Full Version: Action RPGs Megathread (Guild Wars 2!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Zelda megathread ain't got shit on this one.

Okay, so Action RPGs are the best RPGs. None of that Final Fantasy ATB bullshit, none of that FPS with magic WRPG bullshit, just you and your friends backflipping and dodge rolling with weapons twice the size of you.

And there's no greater Action RPG than Phantasy Star Online/Portable/Zero. So I basically jizzed everywhere when a proper gameplay trailer was released for PSO2:

Dodge-rolls from PSZ return, stupid looking huge weapons return, and did I just see that Ranger going into over-the-shoulder view to snipe down some enemies? Hell fucking yes I did.

So yeah. Discuss the god-like miracle that is this genre, complain that Kindgom Hearts would be so much better without Nomura/Disney/Sora, lust after each and every Guild Wars 2 update.
can we talk about devil may cry here? we have equipment and items thats like an rpg
Nnnngsure, that works, just about. It's more of an action game with RPG elements rather than an RPG with an action battle system, though. Ditto Bayonetta, God Hand, etc.
i have never been a fan of the longswords in PSO. they were so slow and most of the time useless when dealing agaisnt harder enemies they did render you hopeless after the first strike. at most, they're a useful mowing tool when farming stuff.

i'm more of a ranger-rifle kind of guy.
Hate all you will on Kingdomhearts and the minds behind it but honestly? I find their battle system more fun than Phantasy Star. I can literally play Birth By Sleep after 2 months of not playing and kill 2 hours. Cause I'm still preparing for the Mirage of Vanitas fight.
but the kingdom hearts battle system does almost all of the work for you
its just mashing the button over and over again and occasionally going into a menu to heal or do spell attacks
How about that game, Nier!?

Seriously, game had good values all around but that battle system was pretty fun. Spears in that game were godly btw.
(04-26-2011, 09:36 PM)Gnostic WetFart Wrote: [ -> ]but the kingdom hearts battle system does almost all of the work for you
its just mashing the button over and over again and occasionally going into a menu to heal or do spell attacks

If your insinuating that you can just press x to win every single fight in every single KH game then please, set it to proud mode keep the Kingdom Key and we'll see how much work the games doing for you.
I've been watching a Valkyria Chronicles LP lately, and man, if I had a PS3, I would buy it so fast.

VC does count for this topic, right? TRPG with action elements?

As for PSO, I also enjoy it more than most standard RPG battle systems. However, I always find it so funny (and kind of enraging) to see my sword go right through an enemy and yet still apparently miss...
(04-26-2011, 10:12 PM)ZaeTelapo! Wrote: [ -> ]How about that game, Nier!?

Seriously, game had good values all around but that battle system was pretty fun. Spears in that game were godly btw.

I've been watching an LP of that game (don't have access to a real copy) and that system's fucking great. I love all the ways they manage to change the gameplay feel without changing the mechanics.
Aside from the 'text adventure' bit. That was stupid.

KH2 is probably the most simplified system. It was built around you being able to parry enemy attacks and you not having a dodge-roll. It was my first KH game, and I beat it pretty much soley using X and Triangle. But I still like it; it's just not as 'smart' towards gameplay as the others.

I'm not sure I like the 'deck' system that BBS and Re:Coded use so much. I'm used to it; but at the same time those recharge times are fucking infuriating. The Panel system from 358/2 was much better.
I'm definitely very glad to actually have actually seen some gameplay from PSO2 now. Looks very nice, but I hope they keep the flow of it rather smooth and that the mage classes play nice since its hard to tell from the video. I played through PSP2 and played the demo of PSP2I and I think that if they base the way attacks worked on those games it would play really well.

I honestly hope it will have console versions as well because graphically, I'd say that its at about the level of 360 launch titles so there's not much of an excuse for them not to port it to consoles based on the processing power.

I really love Kingdom Hearts as well though. As for that series while I'd say vanilla 2 was the easiest, FM 2 with its additions had some rather challenging bosses that really pushed the player a lot more than the other bosses in the game. That alone combined with the very comfortable feel of the combat makes that game one of my favorites.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet though, Versus XIII looked rather amazing last time I looked up trailers for it. Not much to say on it since I've yet to actually try the combat, but it looks very nice at the moment, looking very reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts combat which is a big plus for me.

pso2. omg.

I probably banked 600 hours into pso between gamecube and blue burst private server.

This is a day one buy.
i remember getting that wood katana on my first run on the ruins of the first EP of PSO on the dreamcast, just to discover it was one of the most if not the most rare item you could get on that version of the game :c

i feel like replaying the game again nghhhhhhhhhh
(04-27-2011, 02:52 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2011, 10:12 PM)ZaeTelapo! Wrote: [ -> ]How about that game, Nier!?

I've been watching an LP of that game (don't have access to a real copy) and that system's fucking great. I love all the ways they manage to change the gameplay feel without changing the mechanics.
Aside from the 'text adventure' bit. That was stupid.

Yeah that was just a weird part in the game, boring too, but I've never been big on those things anyway.

Although the oddest thing for me in Nier was one dungeon you entered actually used a top down view, wasn't really bad or anything , just a bit unexpected.

Yup I got the Phantasy Star Online 1&2 for the Gamecube, and the Phantasy Star 0 for the DS. Pretty sweet games.
Pages: 1 2 3