The VG Resource

Full Version: Sega admits Sonic is falling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/s...ted/?biz=1

Basically, Sega of America's Vice President of Marketing Sean Ratcliffe, and the rest of the Sega team know how bad sonics games are.
What they're trying to do is put him in different genres and add innovations.
What I still don't get is how giving sonic a sword is innovation.
Finally Sega admits the truth.

The only thing that bugs me is that if there wanting to get Sonic to get good as it was like from the first game then why the fuck are they still making the series into a gimmick? Like Sonic and the black knight. Sure there trying to get good quality but shouldn't they just go back to the series old routes?
Sonic has been failing because Sega keeps pulling him further and further away from what made Sonic famous in the first place. And they still keep pulling him away from what made Sonic famous. Defeated

Sonic should always be the fastest thing alive while platforming. Not stealing Cloud Strife's sword and busting out magic spells on Fire Emblem enemy wannabes.

EDIT - Ninja'd. >.>;;
Actually I took Dazz's advice and broke out my old Genesis and started playing the old games again.

Sonic never really was that fast, and in fact if you let yourself go too fast you'd often fall right into a trap and die. No, Sonic is actually just a simple platformer with counter-intuative pieces placed sporadically. It had a little element of puzzle to it, it had you using inertia at key points, but at no point in this game does he ever get that long stretch of 'I'm going to run through the whole bleeding game now.'

Bizzare, still kicks the pants out of everything Sonic 3D of course.
Sonic just needs better level design, old Sonic had at-least 3 routes on most levels and you get something different from each, 3D seems to just have one line.
Well, they're still hyping up Sonic unleashed I see. Wonder what their excuse will be if it turns out to be sucky?
Actually the gist of that article is that Sonic Team are worried about the Sonic series stagnating, and so they're trying out many different ideas and concepts; possibly so they can refine the best ones in the future. And it appears to be working; Unleashed has taken some good ideas from the Rush and Secret Rings games.
And so far Unleashed has been named most wanted by GameMaster so it looks like they have found something thats worked - its about time.
They're not saying it's failing. They just recognize hat many of their recent games haven't been that great. Unleashed should fix this. I'm not commenting any more on Black Knight until we can actually get some definitive information (interview, press release, video clips, etc...) on it.

EDIT: Having just downloaded Sonic 1 (Master System Version) and played through Sonic Jam's (Saturn) compilation, I agree that Sonic was only fast during the relatively scripted parts (Sonic 3's zones in particular come to mind).
Too late for this, Sega.
I figure s'about time we get a "good" Sonic game.
The one's of late have been... Well... Ok.
I mean, Rush was defintely a great Sonic game, but Secret Rings... Er... Not so much Defeated
At least to me anyway.
But hey, I'm always ready to try out the blue blur's new games Big Grin
And I guess we won't really know if it's any good or not till it comes out
Y'know what'd be great if Sonic had a game where instead of speeding through paths and obstacles, he had huge wide open worlds to run free and look for the Emeralds or whatever. Someone about speed needs wide open areas to stretch his legs. No more paths but enormous environments to run around and have the freedom Sonic so much desires. Imagine running up walls without HAVING to!
Unleashed is supposed to have hub towns. Since the entire game is supposed to be more-SonicAdventure themed, they've probably made said hub worlds less like NextGen's.

Yeah, the wide-open levels of SA 1+2 (though 2 had far fewer) were nice. I guess Sega fears that the players will feel lost or that his speed would be too hard to rope in with pathing blockers in a big world.
sonic has never had a good game. except adventure 2. thats it.
(08-08-2008, 12:50 AM)lick my nick Wrote: [ -> ]sonic has never had a good game. except adventure 2. thats it.

Well, for once I actually agree with you, nick.
Sonic getting: Swords, wolf forms...
Ya' know? Zelda rip off.
Plus, He's got the biggest Ego, And has the lamest catch phrases.
I'm tired of hearing all that, "DUUH, SONIKZ DA NAME SPEEDZ MA GAME" stuff.
And how the HELL can an echidna fly???
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8