The VG Resource

Full Version: Super Mario Bros.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, I'm new here and I possibly have a very n00b question. I want to do a remake of Super Mario Bros. NES for educational purposes. I found out that you have the complete sprite set of Super Mario Bros. Sadly, I can't use the sheet as it is. From what I've found there're two ways to read a sprite sheet. The first is to divide it into equal square parts, but that requires the images in the sprite sheet to be equally separated. The other one is to have a descriptor file that tells you in what position is each sprite and also its size. With the Super Mario Bros. sprite sheet here I can't use neither of these approaches since the images are not equally separated and I don't have the descriptor file.

I was thinking that maybe there's another way to read the sprite sheet that I don't know of or that maybe someone here have a the descriptor file for that sprite sheet or yet another maybe someone know where I can find a properly spaced sprite sheet. I tried to fix it by hand, and by hand I mean editing the image and trying to arrange the sprites. But is really tedious and frustrating.

Can someone help out a n00b Big Grin I don't know much about creating graphics or ripping sprite sheets but I know about programming games. I really want to create a Super Mario Bros. remake. It will be a great experience.
What are you going to use to make the remake?
I don't think I can really give much advice, other than to just take the sprites from their sheet and place them in their respective places.
(Since that's what I do when I use Game Maker)
Well, I guess I'll have to arrange them manually. I'll use a game engine of my own creation. I'm a programmer, and making games sometimes is a hobby and sometimes is part of my job. I wanna do this SMB remake since it's a good learning experience putting it together. Thanks anyway.
Game programmer?
Hey, you and I share the same interest. I'm actually looking forward to learning game development myself.

Well, your welcome, and good luck.
what about a smb2 remake?
Uhh, please don't necropost in a thread from last month.
Necrophiliac.
Locked.

It wasn't that far back so i aint gonna warn you.
But next time i will.