The VG Resource

Full Version: My Paper Mario Art (atempt)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After some time of trying to find some tutorial, I actually found one, and made some alterations to it (since they used some program, and I have Illustrator/Photoshop) and this is what I came up with

Paper Kritter Version 1:http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/mutantyoshi/?action=view&current=KritterColorPaint.png

Paper Kritter Version 2: http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170...2Color.png

Paper Tanooki: [Image: PaperTanookiFinished.png]

I know it might need work, but I think this is is a great start!

Please tell me what you like and don't like, since I'm trying my best to understand this style and try to accomplish it!
This doesn't qualify as pixel art, so Wrong section. Moved to Creativity.
Thanks for the move. I didn't know where to put this.
It looks as though the outlines are a bit flat-edged in the curvy parts, but otherwise, that looks awesome dude! Big Grin
Yeah I know, I tried to smooth it out.
I assume you're using the pen tool
I also assume you have approximately no idea what you're doing.

So here's a quick and dirty and by no means comprehensive guide to using the pen tool:
[Image: whoacurves4.png]
The top line is what you're doing.
The bottom line is what you should be doing.

To get lovely bezier curves you'll need to use the following tools:
[Image: whoacurves6.png]
I've highlighted the wrong thing here, you'll actually want the direct selection tool -- the path selection tool selects whole paths, while the direct selection tool can select single nodes.
[Image: whoacurves2.png]

Using the convert point tool, click and drag on any node that doesn't yet have a curve on it and you'll get a pair of handles:
[Image: whoacurves.png]
Don't use the convert point tool on a node that's already got those handles, because it'll remove them, and you'll have to do it again.
If you want to adjust the curve on an existing line, you use the direct selection tool, grab one of the handles, and manipulate it until you get the curve you want.
Keep in mind: you can drag the handles independently of each other. This is useful for if you want to bring a line to a point.

General pointer: avoid using the "stroke" option, because it is absolutely hideous. For one, the idea of using the pen tool is to achieve clean vectorised line, and the stroke results in raster data. For two, it's absolutely bloody hideous.
Compare:
[Image: whoacurves5.png]

To achieve the righthand curve, I used my best of all best friends, shape layers.
[Image: whoacurves7png.png]

This'll make a vector-based layer mask based on the path you draw. You'll notice in your layers tab, a "shape layer", rather than a conventional raster layer.

First, a pointer. Don't start dragging points around and applying to curves until you've thrown down a basic shape, thus:
[Image: whoacurves10.png]
(Also, make sure you close off the shape by clicking on your first node once you've drawn the rest of the outline.)
Once you've got your rough shape using as few nodes as you think you'll need, you can start messing with curves:
[Image: whoacurves11.png]
This should illustrate how few nodes you actually need to use to create a shape.
Fewer nodes make for a smoother curve.
Incidentally, if you think you've got a node where you don't need one, make friends with this:
[Image: whoacurves8.png]

Lastly, have a bean.
[Image: whoacurves9.png]
Delicious.
(I managed to miss a point on the bottom there, twice, woops)
This is to illustrate how I'd personally approach the paper mario style: rather than faffing about with outlining the bean separately, I made a black shape as my bottom layer, and then drew the blue shape on the top, using the techniques I mentioned above.

As should be obvious, work over a sketch It makes it much easier to check your lineweights and the shapes you're laying down if you've got a sketch to refer to.
Thanks with this info, I will probably just do the kritter over again before I continue to another I have.
sorry for double post, but I have an update on Kritter

It is a totaly different "version",

[Image: Kritter2Color.png]

Sorry for not posting anything in a while, since it is time consuming.... but tell me what you guys thing?

It still needs some work, like the inside lines still need to be pointed, and not squared off.
Wow major improvement. Pretty much the only thing I see (which you probably know of) is the inline in between his toes on his right foot is a bit thick, also same thing for the outline/inline on his mouth, before the teeth start. Otherwise pretty awesome man. Smile
Great job. Excellent game with an amazing art style.
The lines over all need to be thicker.
Yeah, the lines all need to be thicker.

Your shading is also all over the place; pick a light direction (should be top-left lighting) and stick to it.

Finally, those feet are not in-style. If you'll notice on any of the other characters in the game, including the big guys who actually have some semblance of actual legs, their feet always point in exactly the same direction.
Tachikoma explained it really well.

Your inside lines are still all one thickness. Make them taper as they approach the tips and make some lines thicker than others.
sorry for not doing anything in a while I have been busy..

anyways, I will update my Kritter soon, but I also decided to make this guy thanks to the new Mario 3DS game comming soon!

[Image: PaperTanookiFinished.png]

Tanooki.

They themselves have only been in one game, Super Mario Sunshine. They are the ones who trade blue coins for stars and another one is also at Noki Bay who owns a boat shop there.

I hope you like it!
Yeah, that's looking better. It's cool that you drew such an obscure character.
Pages: 1 2