The VG Resource

Full Version: [IN DEVELOPMENT] Tower of Legends
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tower of Legends is a work in progress to be released on the iPhone when it is done. It is a variation of a Tower Defense game, the difference is that you control a character who walks around and builds towers to defend his tower, while also killing the enemies himself.

download link: http://www.host-a.net/u/conqueralltime/game12.exe

screenshots:
[Image: pic1ef.png]
[Image: pic2jz.png]
[Image: pic3hd.png]

CONTROLS!
----------------------------------------
-click to move towards the mouse
-click the attak button (or press space) to attack
-click on a tower icon to start building it
-click the hammer to repair a tower
-click the money sign to sell a tower
-click the heart to heal yourself
-click the pause button to pause

WARNINGS
-----------------------
-ignore the first two rooms, they are placeholders, just click play and then on one of the boxes, this is a placeholder for a level selection screen.

We currently do not have a sprite artist, so if you would like to help out it would be greatly appreciated! As you get farther in the game you will see all the sprites that need to be replaced with better ones. We also need a new tileset, as the one we are using is free online, and not ours, we could also use more tilesets for more level choices. Please tell me what you (dis)like about the game and how we can make it better =D
Those sprites are awful. And good job using the default text. And how exactly are you going to put this on the iPhone?
I did not use the default text actually, and I know they are horrible, that's why I came here, and I'm going to get it on the iPhone by putting it on the iPhone, it's not that difficult
This is in Gamemaker, not Objective-C.

Even if Gamemaker could export to the iPhone it wouldn't run anywhere near as fast as a native iPhone app, as the Flash-to-iPhone developers are figuring out. If you plan on developing a game for the iPhone it'd be best to actually, y'know, develop it for the iPhone, especially with the majority of iPhone holders saying "retina display or no download" you'll need sprites at least double the size you're using now.

Aside from that I'm unable to help test your game (running a Mac Mini and a Linux laptop), but the GUI looks really crowded. You might want to make a drop-down menu for a lot of those icons and move the wave number and enemy number to a corner.
I know that it will not run as fast, but it's not going to be that bad, other GameMaker games are on the iPhone and they don't run too slow, aside from that, I have never heard anyone say "retina display or no download", I think it should be about how fun the game actually is. Yes, I do agree the HUD is a bit crowded, I may fix that later on, although I do like having the wave number at the bottom center
Are you actually looking for help, or are you looking for buttpatts? Saffron raised some good points and you're just ignoring most of them :/
I did not ignore them, I answered to them, and yes, I am looking for help as I really need some new sprites, as you can see when you play the game. I haven't gotten any comments so far on if anyone thinks the game is actually good =/ I have already made tons of the game with Game Maker so I'm not going to switch programming languages now, and the new GM 8.1 is supposed to be much better and have lots of iOS support. I am thinking about switching the HUD around like Saffron said, so I don't know how I am ignoring him
uh, retina display? top-tier games (from the likes of Square Enix and Firaxis) have been ignored/received bad reviews because the graphics aren't retina.
I'm not really trying to make a new ground breaking game here though, I would most definetaly consider having retina display if GM supported it in it's next release, although I would need a good pixel artist to make art good enough for retina display to be worth it. This is just something I am trying to do for fun, I'm not planning on selling 7 million copies of this, though it would be nice. I would just like a sprite artist who likes my game idea and is wanting to help me out with this =/
so what process are you going to use to put this game on the iphone
i'm rather curious
I sent Yoyo Games the early demo of the game and they agreed to publish it for me, they are going to put it on the app store as soon as it is finished and as soon as I get more art =D
(04-12-2011, 08:03 PM)nickthecoder Wrote: [ -> ]I sent Yoyo Games the early demo of the game and they agreed to publish it for me, they are going to put it on the app store as soon as it is finished and as soon as I get more art =D

They are only going to post it on their website, not the Iphone's app store.
Ummmm, yes they are going to post it on the app store... Search Yoyo games on the AppStore, all those were made with GM and were sent tothem by developers.