The VG Resource

Full Version: Super Minecraft 2D- fangame wip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: mc2d.jpg]

Before anyone gets the wrong idea I'm not trying to make a 2d version of Minecraft it's more of a platformer 'inspired" by the game.the idea behind it being that you can break down the existing platforms and make your own path.I thought it'd be a fun idea and just wanted to see what other people thought.Just keep it mind it's a work in progress...

download:
http://www.sadjason.com/sitebuilderconte...raft2d.zip

any input would be appreciatedSmile
It's a good concept, but the game is a bit crap really. You can destroy blacks that are stacked one on top of the other, but you can't lay one on top of another. There's also no real goal, which sure, is like Minecraft, but while that bug is there it kind of defeat the purpose of construction.

Also, dying makes all your work disappear :\

And the music is annoying.

It's a good idea though, I think you could expand upon it a bit and really make something though.
As for the stacking... jumping and pressing "v" will create a block under the player (might want to add that to the readme file)

and there will be enemies, bosses and different stages kinda think of it as Minecraft arcade...

as for the music...eh it's a midi version of a theme from harvest moon on the snes...it's more or less just filler for now...
It would make more sense to lay a brick infront of the character, and if nothing under there, it drops to the next available floor piece...
that's...a good idea
here's what that idea looks like in gml...

" if placRolleyesmpty(self.x+0,self.y+16)
instance_create(self.x+0,self.y+16,block_d)
else
instance_create(self.x+0,self.y+0,block_d) "
this will be in the update...

Thanks for the inputSmile
I think the concept sounds good
will there be any levels underground or in the nether?
you should be able to dig too, it is called MINEcraft after all
i'm also curious what mobs there will be, will there still be pigs and chickens in it for instance? are there going to be new, orrigional enemies?
fot that matter what kind of bosses do you have in mind?
Hmm... Since you're making this in Game Maker, I'll actually be able to help you.

Here's my idea. Have two types of blocks. Normal blocks that just sit there, and the blocks that's just been placed. These blocks check (in their Step Event) whether there's a free place below them; if so they move one snapping value down (assuming it's only possible to place blocks at snaps). Whenever there's a block below it, it changes into a normal block.

Now, it doesn't end here, because we want blocks to fall down when the foundation below them are taken away. We could do this with a recursive script...

//start_to_fall()
me = place_meeting(x,y - 16,obj_block_normal)
with(me){
instance_change(obj_block_falling,false)
start_to_fall()
}

Put simply, it finds the first block above the calling position (let the normal blocks call this script in their destroy event), tells it to fall downwards, then THAT block finds the block right above it, tells it to fall downwards... and so on.
does game maker support parallax??

if it does, you have a really stellar opportunity to make this game look graeat
Game Maker can show up to 8 independent backgrounds, each one moved and tiled (horizon, vertical or both) independently.
(05-09-2011, 10:07 AM)Yal Wrote: [ -> ]Game Maker can show up to 8 independent backgrounds, each one moved and tiled (horizon, vertical or both) independently.

(in the room options)

You could also add more backgrounds through a background object with its own draw variables :>
Well, I got excited for this when I read the name, loving minecraft and all, but when I saw the screenshot I remembered where I first saw this. Scroll down to World of Squares.

I'm not trying to say you stole they're idea, or that you are trying to clone minecraft, but somebody has this out there already, you are little bit too late. Sad
Somebody out there has done everything. There are billions of games in the world today. A 100% original idea doesn't really exist anymore, and it's not a big deal.
I know but still, you want to be as original as you can possibly be. This is still in it's concept stage, no doubt will the final game look different then when it started. It's just that these two games have a lot in common and this game should definitely differentiate itself from that game before the time it's done. It wouldn't hurt to have new concepts. Wink
Although it is based off MC, and may come off unoriginal,
it does come off as the spark of a fun puzzle game.

And with parallax scenery, this could also be a very nice looking game.

Keep closer to a sprite style with most of the foreground.
The idea of 3D as a major style choice look makes me just want to play Minecraft itself rather than a fangame.

Maybe 3D backgrounds and a 2D foreground would work for style, but whatever.

It is small detail, but the little bird was a nice touch if you plan on adding little scene details throughout the game. Fleshes scenes out a bit.
Like bird flocks in the background or something like your chick detail.

I recommend doing something similar to FortressCraft,
where you get things like jetpacks and shit like that.