The VG Resource

Full Version: Good Paint Programs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, I don't really know if this belongs in this section, but I figured it as the best section to put it in.
Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any good spriting programs that I could get. I use paint, but I was looking for something better. Oh yeah, I was also looking for something that makes it easier to find and pick out colors.
Um yeah paint is the best thing to use.
Graphics Gale.

All the functions of paint plus support for more file type, a larger color selection, layers and scads of useful features such as color-counting, selection inversion and much more.
Yeah, I looked at that and found it very confusing. I'll try to figure it out, or else just stick to paint. Thanks.
Photoshop is what I use. It has all the colors in the spectrum, and it can zoom in a bit farther than Paint. It takes a while to get used to, but once I switched from Paint, I never, ever went back. It wont fail you.
Photoshop is expensive, graphicsgale is free.

Besies, graphicsgale will run on a computer from ten years ago, photoshop takes top of the line machines. For pixel work, photoshop is absolutely the worst option for up-and-comers.
Yeah, I'm looking for something free. And my computer is ancient, probably older than me. Photoshop will slow it down terribly. thanks though.
Paint.net

edit: I didn't see the part about your PC being old.
these are the requirements anyways

* Windows XP (SP2 or later),
or Windows Vista,
or Windows Server (2003 SP1 or later)
* .NET Framework 2.0
* 500 MHz processor (Recommended: 800 MHz or faster)
* 256 MB of RAM (Recommended: 512 MB or more)
* 1024 x 768 screen resolution
* 200+ MB hard drive space
* 64-bit support requires a 64-bit CPU that is running a 64-bit version of Windows, and an additional 128 MB of RAM
the Game Maker paint program is nice, there's some decent effect choices (smash, colorize, etc) and there's some animations you can do too
I use paint.net more for my sketches and cartoons than pixel art. It IS tablet-friendly, so-so-so cool my friend. It's the only program I've ever felt like was an open blank sheet of white paper while I was drawing. It pays attention to your pressure, your speed, all sorts of fun stuff in that.

I guess paint.net and GGale are your best options so far. Both are free, but paint.net is a little rougher on system requirements.
Paint.NET is good, but I just couldn't get into it. I like graphics gale, it's really good, but I don't use it anymore.

Paint is my favourite, simple and great.
Yeah, paint is ok, but I don't like the color selection thing. I guess they are all like that though. I'll check out paint.net in a little while, I'm messing around with gg right now. Oh and I do have game maker, but I dont really use the art part of it much.
Never tried GG, but Paint.net was confusing the one time I tried it, it's probably more suitable for other mediums or something idk. I just use paint.
Game Makers sprite editor is pretty good, imo. But I wish it was a seperate application, then I'd still use GM =]
Though not free, Paint Shop Pro is definitely an affordable and great option if you don't want to invest in Photoshop.
I use Jasc v5 of PSP for all of my spriting and it works great on this computer (which is 6/7 years old). Of course, you can only buy the current version now, so you'll have to deal with Corel's Photo 12 PSP version.
Pages: 1 2