The VG Resource

Full Version: 3DS Impressions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
So here in the UK we have a large number of 3DS demo kiosks in big white boxes that allow the general public to go in and play a selection of games that have a large number of console limitations.

So, playing the 3DS I found that the 3D is crap. It doesn't work unless you're staring at the screen dead on. Meaning, if you want to show something to someone, it's pretty hard...

The analog stick isn't actually all that great, either it seems - it just feels a bit limited. flat analog sticks always get to me though, but I'm sure after some use it'd be fine.

The AR card thing is kind of cool, but has a lot of issues... But there's no shock there. But hey, it's pretty cool until you remember that this is a portable console and it's only great feature seems to require you to both sit still and have a table in front of you... And that there's only really 1 use, and is a massive gimmick...

In all honesty? I prefer the DS. Improve the graphics on a DS and you're sorted. The wide screen is pretty awesome though.
Well it is a demo. Maybe they might fix it up before they actually release it?
I personally won't get one (if I do it'll be a long time from now), as I'm happy with my DS Lite, and I'm not really bothered about it.
the 3d is just a gimmick. It's not like anybody is ever going to actually use it.
The single-focus 3D is a pretty obvious tradeoff for not having glasses. By comparison, Sony - who'd been working on 3D tech the longest, and was pretty pissed at Nintendo for releasing the 3DS tech before they could release their TVs that used the same technology - has TVs that can manage a whopping THREE 3D sweetspots sans-glasses, and the screen is huge and expensive.
(03-21-2011, 09:07 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]Improve the graphics on a DS and you're sorted. The wide screen is pretty awesome though.
This is pretty much the only thing I was thinking of in relation to the 3DS. The 3D and all the extra features are more of a "bonus," I'm really only thinking about the huge potential for "high-res" portable gaming (OOT3DS/RESIDENT GODDAMN EVIL anyone?).

It's neat and everything, but I'm not getting one until OoT3DS is released.
So that you can buy the same game again/again again, only with a 3D feature that doesn't work too well?
I'm going to pass on OoT now I think, if I even bother with the console at all - it'll be a couple years from now at least.
I was never really impressed by 3D in general for some odd reason. I might pass up on this until they release a better version of it (and I'm sure Nintendo will do so in the future).
Will be getting one at launch.

Anyway I'm sad they didn't produce that suave-as-fuck purple color they showed off a while back. They probably never will either Sad
brilliant how everyone can reduce a console down purely to its superficial "gimmicks. "
Actually I think I gave more points to than that... I also assume that the "3Ds" has a major point of being 3D being a major point to the console... Not just a Gimmick. It's like not putting the Wii to its motion sensing.
(03-21-2011, 02:38 PM)Gnostic WetFart Wrote: [ -> ]brilliant how everyone can reduce a console down purely to its superficial "gimmicks. "

Because, for the most part, it's what sets different consoles apart from each other. Especially since we're at a point where in terms of graphics and processing, things are at a much more... homogenised level.
plus I have no incentive to get a 3DS until the Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover is confirmed to come out someday in America, tia.
I'm not buying this for the 3D graphics anyway, i'm buying it for the better graphics and the fact that they will stop releasing DS games soon anyway.
The 3D option is just a bonus to me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11