The VG Resource

Full Version: Virtual Console or Original?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm thinking about working on my video game collection, and I was wondering if I should buy older games (Majora's Mask, Link to the Past, Super Mario Land) on Nintendo's virtual console system or if I should go and buy the original systems and cartridges (and fix them up, like with Pokemon Crystal's clock battery).

The thing I like about the virtual console is that it isn't a whole bunch of systems that cost money/take up space/require me to replace save and clock batteries.

On the other hand, I'd actually have a physical copy of the game, so if anything ever happened to my console I'd still have my games. Plus it gives it a more authentic feel.
Virtual console. Because I don't have an SDTV to play old consoles with.

And VCs are easier to come by (for the most part).
Virtual Console is probably better for the sheer convenience. If you're worried about having a physical copy with that, the next best thing you can do is back it up with homebrew and extract the ROM from its Virtual Console archive file. You can play those straight on your computer too if you extract them which is nice, especially if the game has emulation issues on the Wii.
Virtual console is the obvious choice, Mainly because you don't have to waste more then what the game is worth compared to the games you can buy at a used game store. And you can get imports without getting all the third party accessories needed to play them.

The only real downside is that not every game is out on the wii, but that's considerably minor if you don't know every game that was released.
Well since I have old game systems anyway I might as well just buy the games for them.
i'd only get games who cant be emulated properly. otherwise i dont see a point on getting them on the wii.
(it saddens me they havent added bomberman 64, and at this rate they are not going to)
Original is the obvious choice. I hate digital distribution and nothing beats the feel of the original system's controller in your hands.

Not to mention, if anything happens to your Wii, all those games are gone.
(02-22-2011, 05:05 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]Original is the obvious choice. I hate digital distribution and nothing beats the feel of the original system's controller in your hands.

Except a better controller.

No offense, but the N64's controllers were kind of shittily made. The analog sticks would wear down so fast.

(02-22-2011, 05:05 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]Not to mention, if anything happens to your Wii, all those games are gone.

That's my worry. The Wii isn't like the iOS app store that ties purchases to accounts so you can move them to another Wii.
(02-22-2011, 05:12 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-22-2011, 05:05 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]Original is the obvious choice. I hate digital distribution and nothing beats the feel of the original system's controller in your hands.

Except a better controller.

No offense, but the N64's controllers were kind of shittily made. The analog sticks would wear down so fast.

My N64 analog stick are super wobbly, I'll admit that but I like playing them on my TV rather then my computer. (I don't own a Wii so no VC for me.)
For me, I like to have an actual copy, especially with other things besides videogames, like music. If I can get the hard copy from somewhere I MUST have the hard copy, digital just doesn't feel like you own it.
I've started to rebuy Virtual Console versions of N64 games I once owned. Mario Party 2 is just as good as it ever was, perhaps even better since the GC/Classic controllers are better designed.

As for whether I care about owning physical copies - not a big issue. With emulated stuff, having a physical copy is about supporting the developer, or having an actual collection (I would /love/ a hard copy of MegaMan Battle Network 6 in English, even if it has butchered content compared to the JP release). It's more about /experiencing/ games, rather than owning them. That's why Let's Plays are awesome in a way - you get to experience games you might not have otherwise, at the sacrifice of interactivity. But then, that doesn't always matter (Killer 7, Heavy Rain, Deadly Premonition...)
its a matter of taste.
Personally, I like a combination of both. I usually love the VC for games I could never possibly play otherwise without getting an actual system I don't own, such as TG16 games and things from other regions. My two favorites of such examples are the Ys games (which I have yet to sit down and play through regrettably) and Alien Soldier, quite possibly my favorite game of all time, definitely in the top 5. I also like Sin and Punishment a lot, just not as much as Alien Soldier.
I kind of hate it when people say they purchase games just to support the developers. It's kind of unsettling to know how mainstream emulations are.

As for me: as long as its legitimate I don't really care. My NES broke down years ago, its great to be able to play all my favorite games again on the VC.
Pages: 1 2