The VG Resource

Full Version: Deadly Premonition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Deadly Premonition is a budget third person survival horror game with an open world released for the Xbox 360, and it got severely mixed reactions from the critical press. Some people hated what they perceived as clunky controls and its occasionally unrefined graphics, whereas many more adored its fantastically bizarre style, storyline and characters.

Personally speaking, there was nothing about this game I didn't appreciate. Its graphics, though unrefined, are done so charmingly; its music is enjoyable and quirky, its characters outstanding and its gameplay mechanics incredibly well-conceived. It takes the traditional survival-horror genre and implants it into a real world setting, with the guise of a mystery-murder plotline. On top of this beautifully flawed and charming experience is a bizarre icing (coffee flavored).

Two reviews: IGN.com, who gave it a 2.0, and Destructoid, who gave it a 10.0.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1070909p1.html

Quote:Deadly Premonition is the definition of a system seller. Once you play it, you'll want to go sell your system. That may seem like a harsh statement, but it's been a long time since I've played any boxed retail game on any system that feels this amateurish.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-deadly...5168.phtml

Quote: Deadly Premonition is almost perfect at what it does -- it throughly, confusingly, entertains from start to finish. There is nothing about this beautiful disaster I would like to have seen done differently

This game is:
[Image: vg61573_excellent%20francis%20york%20morgan.jpg]
Disagree? deal w/ it.

Anyone else played this or familiar with it?

(no spoilers please, im not that far in ;-; )
I'm aware of its existence and have seen the first hour or so. It seems like an enjoyable experience though for what it is, doesn't it Zach?
I've heard about it a lot. It's a really amazing game for its bizarreness. From what I've heard, it's a mixed experience of "it's so bad it's good" and being genuinely good.
Quote: From what I've heard, it's a mixed experience of "it's so bad it's good" and being genuinely good.
this is probably the best way to describe this game
the writing and plot are legitimately good (well, some individual moments or bits of dialogue can be... silly, but overall, I mean)
the graphics are usually cheap-looking and there are many poorly-done animations re-used frequently, although for some reason york's coats always look really good, and sometimes there are some cool colors
some of the music is cool, but some of it is kind of silly and dorky and played at inappropriate times
but even these parts that are bad are bad in just the right ways with just the right consistency that (when placed into greater context with the fact that it has a good story) it all kind of has this weird personality and charm to it and you'd never wish to change them as a result
IGN doesn't like anything.

Anyways, with the Bad controls, bad graphics, bt good storyline, it kinda reminds me of Michigan Report from Hell.
I actually don't mind the controls at all, they feel pretty nice to me~
S0 what I've seen so and read so far is that this is just a horror survival game instead of a martial arts game? Cause it's feeling HELLA Shenmue up in here. Last time I checked? That game needed to be in it's like 8th installment(aka needs sequels)
If I liked Heavy Rain, would I enjoy this?
(02-06-2011, 01:34 AM)ChaoticYoshi 3.0 Wrote: [ -> ]If I liked Heavy Rain, would I enjoy this?

Heavy Rain had good graphics but a shitty story

This happens to be the opposite.

you decide if it's good compared to heavy rain. In my opinion you'll probably like this more then heavy rain if you can get past the graphics.
Wise words.

A bit of a drive for me to get it though... meh.