The VG Resource

Full Version: Ripping Ghost Trick, hit a snag...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm in the middle of ripping out the guts of Ghost Trick, looking for sprites. I've gotten my hands on the insides of the cpac_2d.bin file. A little googling said that Capcom uses that for their sprites(apparently, that's the file that had the sprites for Gyakuten Saiban 4) which-- if I'm doing this correctly, that is-- decompresses into a handful of .dat files and a .lz11 file. I'm assuming out of those files, that's what would house the sprites.

I do have a backup method to rip these with iDeas(if you turn off one of the graphic plugins, the screen hiccups for a moment and the text box's opacity jitters long enough to get a snapshot-- but it involves a lot of photoshop), but ripping them straight from the rom would be much cleaner-- they're incredibly hard to get with screenshots, as the textbox is on the same layer as the sprites. But what I'm asking I guess is:

a) Is there method anyone knows of to extract tiles from an .lz11, assuming I was decompressing it right at all(GenericAUnpacker and lzssdemo)?

b) Is there a way to export tiles directly from DeSmuMe? I searched around and didn't really find a yes or a no on this matter.

c) Does anyone know the method to ripping sprites from Gyakuten Saiban 4 or Ace Attorney Investigations? I'm willing to venture a guess that the file structures are similar enough that the process of getting the sprites would be similar.

I apologize, I'm really longwindedSweatdrop; thank you guys in advance, I'm completely at a loss.
(01-29-2011, 12:30 AM)porcelain_lace Wrote: [ -> ]a) Is there method anyone knows of to extract tiles from an .lz11, assuming I was decompressing it right at all(GenericAUnpacker and lzssdemo)?
You may want to try DSDecmp instead of lzssdemo. Getting a .lz11 extension from GenericAUnpacker (I'm assuming that's my unpacker btw) means that the file starts with a 0x11-byte, which indicates that the file may be compressed using the relatively new LZ compression. I believe lzssdemo only supports LZ-compression starting with a 0x10-byte.
It could also mean that the file coincidentally started with 0x11 while it is not compressed, which would render both tools useless in viewing these .lz11 files.

(01-29-2011, 12:30 AM)porcelain_lace Wrote: [ -> ]b) Is there a way to export tiles directly from DeSmuMe? I searched around and didn't really find a yes or a no on this matter.
You can use the tile viewer (Tools->View Tiles), or dump the memory and look for the graphics in the raw data (Tools->View Memory->Raw Dump / Dump All).
(01-29-2011, 05:20 AM)Barubary Wrote: [ -> ]You can use the tile viewer (Tools->View Tiles), or dump the memory and look for the graphics in the raw data (Tools->View Memory->Raw Dump / Dump All).

I'm still tinkering with the things you mentioned in the first paragraph(DSDecmp keeps telling me that everything is already in use by another program-- they're not open in anything else though), but with the tile viewer, I'm using DeSmuME 9.6 and the tile viewer is really really tiny oAo I can actually see exactly what I want to rip in the tile viewer-- I apologize for the obvious arrows:

[Image: examplelu.png]

And that's actual size for the tile viewer. I can't see a way to make it any larger, nor a way to export that. Is there a way to find exactly where "LCD" 0x6850000 is in the memory dumps?

ono Sorry, if I'm missing something obvious.