The VG Resource

Full Version: Sonic R?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to Rip Models form Sonic R?

I've seen Texture Rips

and the PC version use's D3d or Direct Draw if i remember correctly

And i'm not too Sure how to Convert\import 3DXML's if 3D Print-screen works >:
Definitely not from the PC version unless someone ends up making a model converter for it since it uses a really old DX which is version 4 or 5 IIRC. Either way, I know I wasn't able to rip from it.

The Gamecube version in Sonic Gems Collection can be ripped from with Dolphin, but I've heard that it uses backface culling. Basically this is a rendering option where every polygon that isn't facing the screen at all isn't rendered. You would have to get rips from multiple views and then combine them which from personal experience isn't very fun though possible. You would have to use 3D Ripper DX to get them from Dolphin by the way, but you can use my Sonic R rips that you can find on Textures Resource if you like.

(01-26-2011, 09:46 AM)Shadowth117 Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely not from the PC version unless someone ends up making a model converter for it since it uses a really old DX which is version 4 or 5 IIRC. Either way, I know I wasn't able to rip from it.

Direct X 6
and some times I wish I can rip stuff from Saturn games >: (Stupid Sprite Based Psudo-3d Quads)
I've also tried emulating the Gems, Fighters Crashes, and R locks up
Ah, they never fixed the issue with loading other executables ingame? Well alright, you can still do it, but you have to cheat.

What you'll have to do is download this: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/GC-Tool After you've downloaded it, make a copy of your Gems ISO and name it Sonic R or something. Next open it with GC-Tool. You can fool around with naming it internally if you like, but GC-Tool never got finished so its with that. Now right click sonicr.dol and extract it, doesn't matter where really. This is the executable for Sonic R and this is where we cheat as well as why we made a copy of the ISO. You now need to go to Tools->Replace Dol... and select sonicr.dol. This ISO can no longer run other games, but now it boots Sonic R just fine. That's all there is to it.

Fighters NEVER runs through Dolphin by the way so don't bother doing the same method as Sonic R to fix it. PM me and I can set you up for running and ripping from it, but its definitely harder to rip from than most games since its fairly high poly and also uses backface culling.
I had an old version of Dolphin, Sonic r is fixed and works fine Fighter is still borked tho >:
Yeah. Fighters is best ripped with the Model 2 emulator anyway. Perhaps someone will figure out how the vertex data is stored in the game. Might be something worthy of the Sonic Retro folks.

Besides just not running in Dolphin, the arcade ROMset has at least one notable instance of data not found on the GCN disk: Honey.
i mostly wanted the models of all the unused characters anyway

Honey Along with her Fighting Vipers Version
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s...&start=105

Keep up with this thread. They're working on ripping the models.