The VG Resource

Full Version: rpg-like characters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, it's me again. This time I'm looking for some feedback and hints on how to sprite RPG-like chars. So far I did a female hero and a slime, and I still wanna do a male hero and a skelleton, so, please tell me what you think. Big Grin

[Image: chars.png]
Well... No one commented. So I did one extra thing: an animation.
[Image: healAni.gif]
I never really worked with sprites sheets or anymations before, so that's but a shot in the dark. That's the same character as before, using a staff to heal her injured allies. Feedback please?
the slime is pretty generic. I mean, it's pretty alright but there's nothing that let's it 'stand out'. the slime ness of the texture isn't really coming through is what I mean
yeah, slimes are smooth and transparent so ditch out that dithering and make white shines on it.

about the girl, it looks pretty busy and too pink.
It's pinkness is due to me trying to keep the pallete to a maximum of 8 colors, but it could be just about any color. And what do you mean by 'pretty busy'? About the animation, does it look okay? Regarding the slime, I'll work on that.
Girl's stance looks weird

Use a better palate

Don't draw slimes unless it's a Korean MMORPG
I redid the slime, I guess I made it more gooish.
[Image: slimeediting.png]
Anything else you guys think need some refining? Do you really think I should change the girls pallete just to make it less pink?

EDIT: Okay, arün's post wasn't there when I posted this. What's weird about her stance? And I'm not really sure how to say a palette is good or bad, what's wrong about mine?

And, what, bro? Korean MMORPG? What about Dragon Quest? Slimes are their idea! Anyway, it's not an RPG, it's just RPGish sprites, slimes are a must. Anyway thanks for all the comments!
by busy, I mean a sprite that small doesn't need that amount of colors to look right.

EDIT: tinkering with it, I noticed that your colors are ok, you just needed to rethink some colors and use them moderately.

[Image: charac.png]

here's my edit of the girl. See how she looks nicer to the eye. That's because I removed unnecessary anti-aliasing, sel-out and some stray pixels. I also gave her a chin.

I also changed the skin tone to a more contrastant color.
I like the bottom-left slime the most, and I'm seriously blown away at how well you're taking the C+C here compared to a majority of new members. With such a positive attitude I can see you becoming more than just the new guy.
Thanks Sengir, I really appreciate how much you guys take interest in my newbie stuff, it's been real helpful, and I seriously think I'm improving.

As to what Gors said, I tried a simpler design based on your edit of the girl:
[Image: chars2.png]
I just didn't completely removed the hair highlights as you did because I feel it makes the sprite looks more 'alive', if you know what I mean.

As for making the slime more slimy, did you think I alredy did okay?
The head shape made it look like she was lurching forward or something, but Gors's edit worked fine. I suppose Dragon Quest did pioneer the slime as a video game enemy, but way too many games use slimes. They are good shading practice though.

Anyway keep up the good work. Don't know, that's just me.
Here's the sheet with the character unnarmed in it's new, cleaner style, and the healing animation.
[Image: healersheet.png]
I'll soon a sheet of sorts for the slime, but I'm not really sure about how it'd attack, any ideas on where to go for refference?

EDIT: Yeah, stupid question, obviously, I should refer to Dragon Quest...
Alright, this is the beginning of the attack sequence for the slime.
[Image: slimeattack.png]
What do you think about the sheet?
[Image: 125gmyh.jpg]

Well, having the time on my hands, I took the time to make an idle for the slime. Hope you don't mind. =P

But yeah, one thing I noticed:
Try to keep you sprite outlines more clean, I had to re draw the shape of the slime first before I could make a clean animation.

The cleaner your sprites, the easier it'll be to animate.
Whoa, that slime animation looks really nice! I'll try to do something like that on my own, and I'll try to keep the outlines cleaner, thank you very much!
Okay, I totally stole your concept xD But at least I did it from scratch, here's the lastest animations I made:
[Image: healAni-1.gif] [Image: slimeAni.gif]
Pages: 1 2