The VG Resource

Full Version: AllenSword's Battletanx Rips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here is my first submission of a 3d model: the green M1 Abrams from battletanx. This model doesn't have any team icons on it because it is a multiplayer model so anyone can put any icon on it they want. When I rip the tanks from campaign mode, those will have the icons on them.
In the meantime, enjoy
[Image: 25583700.png]
[Image: icon1da.png]
It'll take a while to get the rest cause of school, but Ill try.
UPDATE: Here's a game icon since I didn't see one on the site. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to upload this or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt.
[Image: icon2v.png]
Pretty good for your first rip. Your .obj was screwed up for some reason though and was missing the turret so I had to fix that by reexporting from your .dae. Other than that, pretty good.
The obj was messed up? I imported it and the dae and 3ds files into blender and accutrans, they loaded fine, just curious, what program did you use? Oh, and if this model is acceptable enough, ill start submitting the other tanks.
It was the .obj that didn't load right though. I imported your .dae and then reexported it to fix it.

As for my importer, it really shouldn't matter much since .obj is such an established format that every importer reads them about the same, but I use Max 09's built in gw .obj plugin.

Go ahead and submit more tanks too. Just check your .obj file to make sure it comes out right. Its really just good practice to check your exports to make sure they came out alright.
Hah neato! I've been thinking some low poly army models would actually be pretty because my brother is a huge fan of 3DO's Army Men games and the PS1 games models look very similar in appearance.

I'm glad to see you had success in ripping this.
Thanks guys. Here's the green moto tank
[Image: 91768584.png]
[Image: icon3e.png]
Couple notes about this model, if you look at the top of the model, you will notice that the base of the machine guns looks improperly mapped, but I checked it out in the game, and that's exactly how it looks. Also, the wheels are square, how they made it look round was probably by making the black color around the wheels invisible, if I need to make part of this texture transparent, please say so and I will resubmit it. And I tested all three 3d files included in the upload, and they all loaded fine in blender, and accutrans. There should be no problems with them. Finally, I'm working on the green goliath tank, expect it up this weekend.
Looks good, everything imports fine. I'll get this uploaded asap.

Transparency is nice to have, but its easy enough for people to work that out themselves with models like this.
Here's the green Goliath tank
[Image: 27257508.png]
[Image: icon4y.png]
Next, I'm going to do all the other textures of the tanks and post them up here, such as griffin's army, the red, blue, yellow tanks, etc. Then I'll do the gun buddies and possibly some buildings. All of this will take time. And I recently updated my readme file to say that if you use my models in any animated shorts or films, let me know, especially if it's a comedy.
Unless the models themselves are different, I'd suggest just submitting alternate textures to Texture's Resource or including them with the models themselves. It'd be a bit silly to have a whole 'nother model uploaded for what is literally a palette swap.
That might require putting them all in one uv map? Id have to think about it, personally I don't know if it would be that big of a deal to upload the models because the file size is pretty small, and the game itself doesn't have very many models in it, but it's up to you guys.
It shouldn't require that. All I would really be asking you to do is put all of the alternate color textures in with the regular ones, preferably in a subfolder for each of them (ex. the red variant would go in a subfolder called "tankred", the blue one goes in a subfolder called "tankblue", etc.).

Since they're all meant to go on the same model, all you'd have to would be to use the alternate textures on the tank's materials instead of the default ones. I mean I realize they're all pretty small, but it still clutters things up needlessly to have 4 different model downloads for what are essentially the same thing with a palette swap.
I actually agree with alensword on this shadowth, the twins from ocarina of time were submited difrently despite being little more than a palet swap of each other. it doesn't seem like it would make much of a diffrence, it just seems a bit more complete.
No it would be just complete having the textures themselves in the regular archive like I and everyone else did with the Smash Bros. rips. Its not that I can't accept it, but I'd really, really rather not waste space on having a separate model archive for each set of textures. The thing is, it is quite literally a waste of space submitting the EXACT same model with a different texture set and while I'll admit to having uploaded such models in the past I'd much rather avoid that in the future. As much as I like to give you guys leniency, I'm really gonna have to put my foot down here because there is no merit to what you are suggesting.

I don't think I'm asking for anything ridiculous here. All I'm saying is that I'd much, much rather you give us a single archive with the model and every texture variant rather than multiple archives with pointless copies of the same exact model. Its not a huge deal for N64 models, but I really don't want a practice like this spreading to newer systems and see people people make like 6 copies of 1MB model for each character in a 40 character game. You calculate it out out and its a waste of like 200MB for no reason. Sure, its much less for N64 models but why waste anything at all when its easy as hell to prevent and you lose nothing by not doing the more wasteful method?

(01-23-2011, 07:05 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote: [ -> ]No it would be just complete having the textures themselves in the regular archive like I and everyone else did with the Smash Bros. rips. Its not that I can't accept it, but I'd really, really rather not waste space on having a separate model archive for each set of textures. The thing is, it is quite literally a waste of space submitting the EXACT same model with a different texture set and while I'll admit to having uploaded such models in the past I'd much rather avoid that in the future. As much as I like to give you guys leniency, I'm really gonna have to put my foot down here because there is no merit to what you are suggesting.

I don't think I'm asking for anything ridiculous here. All I'm saying is that I'd much, much rather you give us a single archive with the model and every texture variant rather than multiple archives with pointless copies of the same exact model. Its not a huge deal for N64 models, but I really don't want a practice like this spreading to newer systems and see people people make like 6 copies of 1MB model for each character in a 40 character game. You calculate it out out and its a waste of like 200MB for no reason. Sure, its much less for N64 models but why waste anything at all when its easy as hell to prevent and you lose nothing by not doing the more wasteful method?

Fair enough, would you like it if i resubmited the twins together?

If you want to dude, its your choice really on that since its already on the site. Just for any future models I'd like for everyone to stick closer to that rule.
Pages: 1 2