The VG Resource

Full Version: Does anybody have a PSP with custom firmware?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
RandomTalkingBush Wrote:You'll need a PSP (WITH custom firmware), the ISO/CSO of the game you want to rip from (in this case, Metal Slug Anthology), and CWCheat.

Enable the CWCheat plugin and go into the game, to some point in the game where the graphics are (since the graphics need to be in the memory). Hold Select for a few seconds to open up the CWCheat menu, enable the "dump" function, then hold Square for a few seconds, until it says "Dumping...". After the message disappears, just go back to the PSP's menu and connect it to your PC. Take the MEMDUMP*.dmp from the root of your memory stick and put it somewhere on your computer, and open it up in Tile Molester (though you'll need to add a few things into the tmspec.xml to get the palettes to show up properly), GGD, or TiledGGD (recommended, since it supports alpha channels in palettes).

This method is the only way to rip Metal Slug 6 sprites. I'm all set except for the fact that I don't have a PSP with custom firmware.

If anybody does, could they provide me a dump from the part where you ride the Rootmars Slug?
(I'd prefer dumps from all of the major areas but just that one will do for now)
I do! But... I'm on the other side of the planet from it at the moment... Sorry Sad
If you can give me a download to a CWCheat for 5.xx firmware and a save at that area of the game I could do it. I can play through it if you can't give me a save, but I wouldn't be able to do it immediately.
I can try too, just send the stuff Shadowth said and tell which version of the game (US, EU, JP)
(01-07-2011, 04:55 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote: [ -> ]CWCheat for 5.xx firmware
I have no idea what that means.
I tried looking around but I couldn't find anything of the sort. Are you being sarcastic? Is this some some sort of impossible-to-get thing? I've been tricked like that before.

And it's Metal Slug Anthology, US.
Actually there are many different firmwares around, depending on your PSP model. Ie: mine is a 5.50 Gen-D3, but there's also the CFW firm, the previous versions of Gen (like Gen-C) and so on. And some plugins aren't compatible with all of them.
So this CWCheat is compatible with the latests versions of firmware?
I'm not really the person for technical questions, but I belive so.
I know it's possible, RandomTalking Bush has done it many times. I tried asking him but he didn't respond.
(01-07-2011, 06:37 PM)RandomRebelSoldier Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really the person for technical questions, but I belive so.
I know it's possible, RandomTalking Bush has done it many times. I tried asking him but he didn't respond.
Sorry about that, real life's been pretty demanding for the past few weeks. I'll see if I can get the memory dump for ya sometime tomorrow.
Alright well I have CWCheat working. Can you get me a save at the part you want me to dump? If you can do that it'll save a lot of time. I can play through to that part like I said, but I'm not really feeling up to playing through more than half the campaign to get there. All you'd have to do to get your save after you make it would be for you to go to \PSP\SAVEDATA on your PSP with your computer, compress a folder called "ULUS10154MSLUG6", and upload it for me to download at mediafire.com or some other hosting site.
(01-07-2011, 06:50 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote: [ -> ]All you'd have to do to get your save after you make it would be for you to go to \PSP\SAVEDATA on your PSP with your computer,

Wut?

Are you talking about saving files from the actual PSP, or something else? I have a PSP, but it's not modded in any way. Sad

(01-07-2011, 06:45 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry about that, real life's been pretty demanding for the past few weeks. I'll see if I can get the memory dump for ya sometime tomorrow.

I totally understand. Thanks!
All you need to go is to connect your PSP (not modded) to the USB drive of your computer (do you have the cable, don't you?) and open it with Windows Explorer
No I'm talking about you getting me the save game data for your metal slug game. That would let me use a save data you made on your game to load up the level on mine.
(01-07-2011, 07:43 PM)Ultimecia Wrote: [ -> ]All you need to go is to connect your PSP to the USB drive of your computer and open it with Windows Explorer

Oh, okay. That makes sense. And I got it for Christmas (just for this purpose), so I'll dig around and see if I can find it.

Edit: Crap, I don't. I'll get on that right away.
There are two ways to check around your data:

The first is go to Settings >USB Connection, plug the cable (it's the very same of the PS3 controller too if you have one) and open the Windows Explorer
The other is to have the adapter you just remove your memory stick from your PSP (at the left side, at the lateral there are a small protection written "Memory Stick Duo" or something like that on that). Usually the official memory stick comes with the adapter so you can plug it right on a notebook or using another adapter to use it to the regular PC (sounds complicated, but it isn't)

On Windows Explorer, go to the folder PSP>SAVEDATA
You're going to see many folders with weird names. One of them is the Metal Slug. How to know which is the right one? Check one by one, they usually got a image file called "icon0.png", so just check if you recognize it.
Once you find, zip the entire folder (you can copy+paste to your computer and then zip or zip straight, depends on the programs) and then send it to us ;p

I hope it's clear enough :p
Woohoo! Thanks for putting up with my noob questions guys.

[Image: 65173250.png]

And I just realized I actually need to make some savestates before I can upload them. doh.

Oh wait a minute... You can't save your progress in Metal Slug 6.
Crap.
Pages: 1 2 3