The VG Resource

Full Version: MantiCORE -REVIVED- [CONCEPT]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Reviving MantiCORE though I will probably change all the cosmetics of the game, the core concept and gameplay is still in tact. If you have no FUCKING clue what MantiCORE is, here is the shit, that I wont retype:

http://www.spriters-resource.com/communi...=Card+Game

Why is this in games development? Well, I want this to be the first game Martin and I ACTUALLY pump out. Martin has no idea I'm doing this but I know he will be on board, and I am also recruiting artists, scenario writers, dialogue writers, character designers, ALMOST EVERYTHING.

Also, Grooveybaby, I know you will be on board. :-) It is YOUR game too, I'd say you contributed more than enough to have claim over the MantiCORE concept as well. If anything I would just like to invite you back to the table to help me re-imagine the game.

But yes, this will be MORE than a card game simulation program. I want this to be a full blow game with a deep and imaginative plot. When you are not facing other people in the card game, you are.. well.. living life. It will be much like the Persona games (Persona 3 to be more exact, as it's the only one I've played) as in you will be living your daily life, meeting and interacting with people, raising money to buy more cards, etc etc etc.

As for the plot, what I have in mind, is something VERY Yu-Gi-Oh. The setting resembles modern Earth closely, but is set in an alternate universe, in the near future. Wars are fought with mechs, which are piloted by playing cards on panels inside the mechs. Doesn't sound very smart, or efficient, or... whatever, but that's where the alternate reality comes in. In this world it is perfectly reasonable to battle each other with a game of cards. But, not only are the cards used in warfare, they have been adapted into a wildly popular recreational card game. Something like that, I haven't completely thought it through yet.

ANYWAY, I *AM* recruiting people, hopefully not only form TSR, but other communities as well. The graphical work on this game will be intensive but luckily most of it can be dumbed down to still character portraits and card art, with minimal minimal minimal actual sprite work.

Positions I'm currently looking to be filled:
Almost everything, really.

Story developers
Card artists
Card designers
Character designers
Character artists
Scenario writers
Dialogue writers
Character interaction logic/processing/writers
Card game designers

...Programmers. :-(

Sorry if this seems rushed, I want to get the idea out in the open and then flesh out details with my team. My currently non-existent team. My aspirations for this project are high, I would like to incorporate online play, online trading/auction house, patchable card data so more sets aside from the core set may be released. Of course I hope this game will become retail, as in we will be making a profit, and I will probably charge for expansion sets (like 10 bucks to gain access to the latest cards), so the work quality required must be top notch.

Feel free to post ANYTHING here. Tell me I'm retarded, tell me the idea is dumb, tell me my dick is huge, ask to fill one of my open positions.
Ryan Stiles.

Never forget.
>Writers
I'm in, man. Dialogue's my thing.

I could also try my hand at designing the cards.
Yeah dude; of course I'm helping with this.

But if we're gonna go properly down the game design route; we need an engine to build - in 2 ways:
1) If the game can be played IRL - even if it's mechanically but not graphically - we really should make decks that can be printed out. So everyone can try it and comment on how they feel the mechanics work. Everyone can be involved with the testing process; so we'd generate a lot of interest.
2) A computer-based engine. There are programs that exist already that can make online CCGs - but I dunno if they're capable of making full-on games. That'd require an engine build from scratch (Or gamemaker or MMF2 or whatever). We have a few programmers here already - but IIRC they're all bogged down in other projects..

My time online is a bit sporadic and I never seem to be online as the same time as you, Mr. Rad Dad; so if you need me to give my 2 cents on anything/explain shit/do write ups - just post here or shoot me a PM and I'll post ASAP.
I've already started coming up with some mechanics. I'm a little tired right now though, so I think I'll post/explain tomorrow.
Well um

The mechanics of the card game itself are pretty much finalised; with some scaling and tweaks to sort out. To crosspost from the other thread, a .doc of the rules and game flow can be found here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gghyji4rn3l
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AJ62YOI2

Of course, if you have suggestions to build on top of these rules; that's entirely fine.
Welp! Those are some sexy mechanics, by the way.
just popping in to say i like and support this, and that it reminds me of sid meier's alpha centauri.
i think the online idea is pretty cool, and i'm wondering if you should let players create their own cards and such (or if it'd get out of hand).
anyway, good luck with this, i want to see this up and going!
Letting players create their own cards would be a recipe for disaster. CCGs are hard to balance as it stands.
hahaha, i thought so!
i remember creating a trading card game a few years ago and i let people create their own cards, and it did indeed turn out to be a disaster.
are you thinking of making this a web browser-based game?
I honestly would see this as a print-out-and-play game before basically anything else. Even if it was just 2 decks with fixed contents. Let's start small and make sure the game works before doing anything huge.

As a personal suggestion; I got stuck on 2 things when I worked on this last:

-The finer mechanics of CORE construction. It's obvious that each CORE part has a resource cost - but how do the costs of these compare to other cards - support units especially. They're bound to be more expensive on average; but if they're too costly, it would be a bad strategy to focus on building the expensive multi-part powerhouse that doesn't protect you.
Furthermore, are there bonuses/penalties for building mechs with the different faction origins? It was suggested by a member on /tg/ that the Core Part should have icons that represent what parts would be the 'most compatible'. Trying to attach a part that doesn't have the same icon would be 'less compatible'; and cost more resource.

- Crafting the decklists for the 2 test decks. These need to be balanced in content and not have cards that do anything too complex. If you've ever played a CCG from the starter deck you get - you'll notice that the decks are calibrated to be really easy to use, and don't rely on some obscure or difficult-to-grasp combo. While it's fun to come up with cards that do zany effects; basic units with no special features are important too.

To mine some more info from my scraps on this project; I came up with this rough frame for a decklist (I based it a bit on the ratios in MegaMan NT Warrior deck, since it doesn't use energy cards like M:tG or Pokémon):

Decklist
CORE Parts - 16
2x Head A
2x Head B
4x Arm A
4x Arm B
3x Legs A
1x Legs B

Units - 18
Base Parts - 4
Pilots - 6
Upgrades - 10
Tactics - 6

I've not separated the non-CORe cards into individual numbers yet, but that seems like a good ratio. Could someone who's good with probability maths tell me how easy/hard it is to get a full CORE (that is - a head, 2 arms and legs) from this arrangement? You start with a hand of 7 random cards.

Edit: i want to hear more about this CCG you made - and the cards people came up with.
Double post because I give no fuck. Now featuring Skype rambling about story ideas!

crds
Code:
Sabotage -- Continuous Tactics Card (2 res.)
Effect:
    You must discard one pilot card from your hand OR destroy one pilot card you control. As long as this card is in play, your opponent may not attach parts to his or her [mech].

Tactical Helicopter -- Support Unit
Air Type (4 res.)
Health: 5
Attack: 2

Effect:
    You may play Tactical Helicopter to the field without paying it's resource cost by discarding a card from your hand.

When Tactical Helicopter comes into play, you may search your discard pile for a Tactics card and return it to your hand.

Air Drop Squad -- Support Unit
Infantry Type (2 res.)
Health: 3
Attack: 1

Effect:
    This unit may not be piloted. If you control a piloted Air type unit, you may play Air Drop Squad to the field without paying it's resource cost.

During your turn, you may remove Air Drop Squad from play to destroy one pilot card on the field.

02-19 Beluga CORE -- MantiCORE Core
Sea Type (-- res.)
Health: 21

Effect:
    Whenever this MantiCORE is attacked by an opposing unit, you may destroy one upgrade card on the attacking unit. If you do, this MantiCORE takes 1 damage.

VU00-2 THE LIGHTHOUSE -- MantiCORE Head
Sea Type (1 res.)
Health: 2
Attack: 0

Effect:
    Sea type cards played by this cards controller cost 1 less resource.

Attacks made by this MantiCORE cannot be negated by the effects of Tactics cards.

Whalekiller iiM893-01 -- MantiCORE Arm
Sea Type (2 res.)
Health: 1

Effect:
    Whenever this MantiCORE destroys a unit in battle, add resources to your resource pool equal to the destroyed unit's original resource cost.

Research Submarine -- Support Unit
Sea Type (4 res.)
Health: 5

Effect:
    Once per turn, during your Preperation Phase, you may pay X+2 resources to put into play one sea type support unit from your graveyard, where X is that cards original resource cost.

South Sea Fishing Vessel -- Support Unit
Sea Type (1 res.)
Health: 2

Effect:
    During your Begin Phase, add 1 resource to your resource pool.
[Image: GameCreation1.jpg]

I'm completely scrapping everything here in favor or a more streamlined system and playfield as well as a richer story in a richer more fantasy (think story book fantasy) world. It's still going to be a mech war game, but with a different flavor and not as much emphasis on creating a mech with parts.

The new core mechanic is you choose 3 "commanders" which don't necessarily have to be commanders, they are just major/important personalities within the story. Each Commander card has a set of cards printed on it labeled as "starting cards". These are the cards that you pre draw form your deck to be in your hand, creating a new level of strategy opposed to the randomness of a starting hand and needing to "mulligan". Along with the starting cards, each player shuffles there deck and then draws 2 cards to create their starting hand.

Out of the 3 commanders you have, you must place them in the order you wish to use one. Once one commander has been killed/assassinated/destroyed/whatever, you switch to the one under it. The first person to lose all 3 of their commanders loses and the opposite player wins. All commander cards have a health stat as well as one or more passive or active abilities. (It should be noted that only the starter cards printed on your FIRST commander matter, so choosing your starting commander is another thing you should think hard about to ensure the cards you want are in your hand).

The resource system is sadly almost exactly like the WoW TCGs, although I found this out AFTER I made it, granted I did kind of jack the idea form what I though Duel Masters used (though I doubt it's actually the case considering I have no idea how Duel Masters is played). Anyway, during your main phase on your turn, you may place any number of cards form your hand face down in a resource pile. These cards are your resources, and to play cards, you must discard cards form your resource pile equal to the cost of the card.

Other than these two core changes, the game stays mostly the same. You are allowed 5 support units (or just "units" now) and there are tactics cards and pilot cards. Upgrade cards have been merged into the tactics card category. Your support units protect your commanders, and without support units, your commander is open for a strike.

Mechs are now "unit" cards as opposed to being a customizable ultra-unit. I decided to make this change because I felt the first person to finish completing their mech had and obvious advantage over someone who had an unfinished army, making it easy to obliterate their support units and attack their base directly.
Hm.

While those are some valid ideas in changing the mechanics but keeping the flavour the same - the main idea that drew me to this CCG concept was the baility to build and customise mechs. I felt a system like that combined really well with the CCG format; and I would be extremely dissapointed to see that stop being the focus - or worse still leave the game entirely.

But by all means, that's just me. Flesh that idea out some more, and I'll be happy to give my 2 Cents along the way.
Pages: 1 2