The VG Resource

Full Version: what are 2-double sided polygons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I 'm using 3ds max and when I render some models, the models looks backwards. I have to go to to Render Setup, and then go to Common, then go down to Options then select go to Force 2 Sided. I look around and hardly found any information on 2-double sided polygons. So does any body know what it is.
Okay this is another situation where you could have just asked the same question in one thread. No, I don't know how to convert the .pac files in Smackdown VS Raw 2. If someone else does they'll probably say something, but I doubt it.

For your other question, double-sided polygons are polygons that use the overlap each other, but have opposite normals. This makes it so they can be seen from both side when rendered rather than being invisible on one side. The Force 2 Sided option in the Render Setup and Material Editor just cause the renderer to treat the affected polygons that way regardless; the option for the renderer does this to every polygon while the Material editor only affects the polygons that use that material.

As you'd expect, your renderer has to draw extra polygons so if you use this on a lot of things it could end up being more taxing than it needs to be on it. You usually don't want to use double-sided polygons unless you really need them to be visible from both sides such as with something transparent like a gem or something flat like paper.
(12-21-2010, 01:19 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote: [ -> ]Okay this is another situation where you could have just asked the same question in one thread. No, I don't know how to convert the .pac files in Smackdown VS Raw 2. If someone else does they'll probably say something, but I doubt it.

For your other question, double-sided polygons are polygons that use the overlap each other, but have opposite normals. This makes it so they can be seen from both side when rendered rather than being invisible on one side. The Force 2 Sided option in the Render Setup and Material Editor just cause the renderer to treat the affected polygons that way regardless; the option for the renderer does this to every polygon while the Material editor only affects the polygons that use that material.

As you'd expect, your renderer has to draw extra polygons so if you use this on a lot of things it could end up being more taxing than it needs to be on it. You usually don't want to use double-sided polygons unless you really need them to be visible from both sides such as with something transparent like a gem or something flat like paper.

sorry about that, I was trying to use wrestling models to make DC Comics and Marvel Comics characters, I use models from games like WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 and wrestlemania 21, I just went to create player and use 3d model ripper, But sense the models come out double-sided, I can't use them after finding out this information. Thanks for the info.

batman and harley quinn 3d, the base where wrestling models http://mugenlove.deviantart.com/#/d359ul0
You may be able to select all of the polygons inside the characters if you use the editable mesh modifier's polygon selection and use the ignore visible edges setting. If you set the planar thresh right, you should be able to select all of the polygon inside the model and delete them.

Alternatively, if they're not separated into too many different elements it may be better to use the element selection to select the polygons inside the mesh and delete them that way.