The VG Resource

Full Version: Easiest known way(s) to rip sound effects, music from SNES/NES games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If so can they be changed from mp3 to different format and still sound the same but use less memory?

NES games I can do "VERY EASILY" yet can the files be changed from mp3 to something else (.wav say) and sound the same yet use less memory?

I appreciate your help all of you.

On an off-topic note I know companies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGVEqEiz9sg
do not care about using sprites but what about sound effects, music etc. as far as any of you know do they (the companies) mind?
Well, if you want to change mp3 files to wav, I would suggest downloading Audacity. Just open the file, and under "File", you select "Export as .wav". Thats what I would do. Tongue
I'm a little bit confused... You want rips of NES and SNES music/SFX? Well downloading the .nsf or .spc would be the best way to start. SPC's don't carry the SFX (from what I know) but they DO carry the music files! NSF's usually have both music + SFX data.

Using a program like foobar2000 or spcplay you can easily convert to a .wav, and then you can compress to anything you want from there with something like aTube Catcher, Audacity, Sony Vegas, etc.
If you want to rip sounds effects from NES games, look up NES2NSF. For SNES look up SNESSOR95. Both programs are very easy to use.

If you're loking to rip BGM from a SNES game, download the ZSNES emulator and disable the different background tracks (F5 - F10 by default. F5 is the sound FX channel, the others are channels of the BGM). Simply record your Stereo mix with Audacity (free program).

I have no experience with ripping BGM from NES games, so I can't help you there.