The VG Resource

Full Version: Origins of Pokemon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
For awhile I've been thinking about this, and I thought it'd be interesting to discuss.

Where exactly did the creators get the ideas for certain pokemon?

What you answer could completely your opinion, but I want to know what people think.

For example, I've heard somewhere that diglett and dugtrio are based off of "whack a mole", or that Lucario was based off of Anubis, or that Mew was based of an embryo, etc. etc.

What do you think?
Giritina is more than likely based on Lucifer, as he's the only Dragon that was "cast-out" for his "bad behavior". It fits with Arceus (God) pretty well.
Voltorb and Electrode are based off of Pokeballs! I seriously bet ya no one knew that!
parasect is dead
Vulgina is a prehistoric vulture, the spike bones around her waist is her motherly apron (as vultures are often portrayed as being motherly or taking care of their young in cartoons/pop culture/whatever) and the bone ornament in her hair is reminiscent of the comical bone hair ornament show in may caveman/woman depictions

she is *not*, however, punk inspired
I find it funny how both Mew are Arceus are considered to be gods.
also lucario is obviously inspired by anubis, which is why i used to think his name was lucairo as in the city in egypt
but then he turned out to be some fucked out martial artist thing and just.......... no
are HitmonLEE and HitmonCHAN really braced off of Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan, or just coincidence?
not BASED off them just named after them, not a coincidence though
Shroomish is based off of the Earthstar.

[Image: EarthStarMushroom.jpg]

(12-10-2010, 10:04 PM)Kat Wrote: [ -> ]I find it funny how both Mew are Arceus are considered to be gods.

Mew is based off of the embryo.

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/On...ecies:_Mew
(12-10-2010, 11:22 PM)Koopaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-10-2010, 10:04 PM)Kat Wrote: [ -> ]I find it funny how both Mew are Arceus are considered to be gods.

Mew is based off of the embryo.

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/On...ecies:_Mew

I never said he wasn't, just how they are both considered god since Mew made all of the pokemon.
They never said Mew created all Pokemon just that Mew contains the DNA of all Pokemon.
(12-11-2010, 02:43 AM)Koopaul Wrote: [ -> ]They never said Mew created all Pokemon just that Mew contains the DNA of all Pokemon.

It is pretty obvious to imply that he did.

Plus that means he has the DNA of Arceus, a god, theirfor making him a god too.
People always assume the wrong things though. You can't just say "it's pretty obvious" because its not always.

Like Vipershark who said Parasect is dead but in really its being controled by the mushroom.

And someone said Giratina is based off of Satan but that's not true either seeing how Arceus is not based off of a Christian god, but the Chinese Pangu god.

Giratina instead is the one who balances the universe by mastering the reverse world. While there is something said about banishment the creator confirmed that Giratina is based on antimatter.
Well if it has the DNA of all pokemon and was considered to be a god before Arceus I'm pretty sure it is safe to say what Mew did.

The Parasect thing is interesting but with Mew it is more or less a simple observation rather then an imaginative posibility.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5