The VG Resource

Full Version: I hate myself for saying this, but...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
All right, you Opera-sires.

You've convinced me to at least /try/ using Opera as a main browser for a while.

The main problem is that Firefox has been acting up lately and having insane memory leaks on my system, to the point where it's using over 2GB of ram for firefox alone (not counting plugins, etc) and slowing everything down.

"But Vipershark you always have 200 tabs open"
no shut up this is not normal

under normal circumstances, my computer can more than handle over 200 tabs with an occasional memory leak here or there.
lately though, it's gotten so bad that my computer is annoying to use with firefox open at all, regardless of the amount of tabs.

It's even been slowing down other computers that I've used, and it's starting to annoy me. Maybe it's just an issue with the latest version; I don't know.

I'd totally switch to Google Chrome (or rather, SRWare Iron since it's better) right now if I could, but Chrome doesn't yet have all the plugin support and stuff that Firefox does.

So with that being said, that leaves Opera as my final choice. I tried it out for a while and it seems okay, but a lot of stuff is totally different and there's a lot to get used to.

Can you guys recommend any plugins that i should use, etc?
Reinstall firefox?
Don't open a thousand tabs?

I'd rather die than use opera.
thanks for the move, woppet

I think the main thing slowing FF down has been my flash plugin. Going on pages with flash take ages to load.
idk, i'd just adblock all unwanted flash.
Maybe start firefox again from scratch, only installing addons that you need.
I used Opera a lot.

But if you think Chrome doesn't have enough, then Opera won't be enough either.

Edit: It's even worse that posting this crashed Opera.
(12-08-2010, 02:47 PM)Woppet* Wrote: [ -> ]Reinstall firefox?
Don't open a thousand tabs?

I'd rather die than use opera.

go awa fgt!!!!

Opera goesn't have a lot of plug in choices but it generally runs faster then firefox.

having too many tabs open at once is kinda a pain in the butt because the tabs don't stay a set size and scroll but they tabs just get smaller and smaller and smaller

but is has Speed Dial which makes life easy.
Given that Vipershark didn't post his Firefox user agent, all I can do is post these if he wants to bother troubleshooting Firefox:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/High memory usage
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Fire...0resources
Opera is tons more stable than Firefox, and unlike Firefox, upgrading doesn't slow down the browser more!

EDIT: Also, after a while, and lots of practice, you'll start to get used to Opera's mouse gestures-- easily the best feature of the browser.
Far too many people just abandon Firefox the moment something screws up without even figuring out what went wrong first in order to report it to the right people to fix (Firefox problems to Firefox devs, extension problems to their makers, theme problems to their makers, and plug-in problems to their makers -- Adobe, Apple, etc.).

Devs can't fix what people fail to report. Though I'm getting off-topic here, so I'm open to continuing through PM or in General Discussion if necessary.
(12-10-2010, 11:33 AM)Ngamer01 Wrote: [ -> ]Far too many people just abandon Firefox the moment something screws up without even figuring out what went wrong first in order to report it to the right people to fix (Firefox problems to Firefox devs, extension problems to their makers, theme problems to their makers, and plug-in problems to their makers -- Adobe, Apple, etc.).

Devs can't fix what people fail to report. Though I'm getting off-topic here, so I'm open to continuing through PM or in General Discussion if necessary.

Then report to Firefox that it has has memory leaks to them and is genuainly slow and is rather unstable, because that is something that is not caused by bad themes and addons.
Chrome is easily the most awesome one out there. It can now use plugins etc. but seriously how many plugins do you need?
I think the question is, what plugins do you actually use? I don't have any plugins on Opera and I survive just fine.
Too true. Don't use any myself, but I know they now apparently exist for Chrome (it told me). I guess some people are just Plugin whores...
Noscript, Adblock Pus, iMacros, Downthemall, and Greasemonkey are the ones that I want the most.
Noscript is in Chrome.
Adblock is in Chrome.
iMacros is in Chrome.

There's a weaker DownThemAll called Download All,

and I think Greasemonkey made one called Greasemetal, the Chrome edition.
Pages: 1 2