The VG Resource

Full Version: Dungeons and Dragons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone. My name is Ivan and I run a weekly dungeons and dragons game with some really kickass people. I've played DnD all my life and always assumed that when I got to be a bit older, I'd give it up. (No dice)
Anyways, I thought I'd post this here, because for some reason I am not allowed to post in the "Requests" area - If someone would be able to move this to that area, or maybe give me permission, that would be swell - but in lieu of that, I'll just get to the point right here.

I began to notice that my players would all bring laptops or Ipads to our sessions and it was getting annoying to find enough space for the battlemat, all the minis, terrain, and the laptops. I decided that since they were all glued to their laptops, I would try using RPGtools Mapmaker.

Essentially, it's a virtual tabletop that allows you to use basic drawing tools and 'pogs' to play out encounters and whatnot.
example of a regular maptools encounter

What appealed to me was how you could import your own graphics and since I am a bit of a self taught PS nerd, I decided to start using ripped sprites from all my favorite old Snes and ps1 games.
Here's an example of one of my encounters -

I like to test my players on what sprites/environments from what games I'm using. What you see there is a scene from our dark sun campaign, I made it by customizing the gyser field from Secret of Evermore - the monsters are from various games and the pc's are from bahamut lagoon I think.

This would be on the big 42 " screen in my living room, and also on every player's laptop. The players are logged in and can only move their 'pogs' according to dnd rules. The program also has macros for dice rolling and tons of other features.

What I was wondering, and planning on requesting in the 'requests' area - was if anyone here had any suggestions on where I could find any good backgrounds that have a similar perspective as the one in the example there. I have a lot of Secret of evermore and Lunar ones, but those will only last so long as I chop them up haha. I only use them for my dnd sessions and never plan on sharing them with anyone or using them in any illegal way. We just get a kick from using old snes sprites to play out our encounters. Any help at all that anyone here could offer would be super appreciated. I love the art I see on these boards and it inspires me!

- Ivan
The reason why you can't post in requests is because you're not meant to. Requests are for people who have been around on the forum for a while - it intentionally exists to stop people signing up just so they can ask people for stuff.

Integrate with the community, post some more; and then try again. Try and Spam to increase your post count; and get banned without hesitation or mercy.

Enjoy your time here!