The VG Resource

Full Version: do i need improvement?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
question, do i need to improve or is ok to keep this way?

heres one of my latest drawings

[Image: lugia_sky_territory_by_blooddragonx-d33d33w.png]

Looks fine to me, but your outlines are really bad. Be more patient when inking your drawings.
yeah, i think i will start to use illustrator to ink, in fact i already started to use....but i am not sure if i got it right

here

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/20...33uoo3.png

(link this time because...well, big pictures will break pages)
everyone needs to improve
stop improving when you're dead

the problem with using the pen tool (i assume you are) to ink is the lines have the same width all throughout. makes the image look flat.
although Tyvon (alpha6) is right and your first inks were a bit messy, i think they have more character. you just have to ink more carefully (are you using a brush?). a general rule is parts in shadow have a thicker line. use your judgment when it comes to curves.

the coloring is a different thing: the second looks better, but it looks like you used the burn tool everywhere (correct me if i'm wrong). the thing with the burn and dodge tools is they bring colors close to black and white respectively. but shadows are almost never black (as an aside: where the hell is Ryumaru?); they have colors mixed in there, too.

afaik the general rule is you mix in the complementary color of the light into your shadows. so the shadows will be completely black only if light is completely white. even then, it just looks better with color.

also study the way shadows fall. there's a difference between cast shadows and form shadows.

my two cents Smile
your lightsource is off. The lightsource is in the back, when you make it seem like it's in the front.
i think i got it, will start to change..soon.

and believe or not, i don,t use burn tool.

thanks everyone, especially you murederbeard for the hints .

mod, you can close this topic, i already received all i needed.

see ya everyone.