The VG Resource

Full Version: [GAME][SCRAPS]Random Scrap Dump
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
RSD
The next in the line of "Random" threads.

Anyway, I felt like sharing some of my more "dead" game ideas and prototypes, so I might as well post some of them here. Who knows; if people like them enough, I might (unlikely) continue them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charge Project (May 2009)

This project spawned from a conversation with a Digipen friend right before I transferred away. We were talking about a game that was all about the player running really fast and blowing shit up.
From that convo, he made a really nice-looking school project (Y-Soul Trailer), while mine became what I'm about to show you. Oh, and mine died.

[Image: screenie10h.png]
Swords
[Image: screenie3j.png]
Guns

So the idea is that the game is a run-n-gun. At the point that the demo was at, it featured only autoscrolling, but I intended to make most of the game actually be more traditional, without the autoscroll. Anyway, my main idea started with the sword; I wanted something that was different from the "press button to swing sword," so I thought I'd try to see how everything would turn out if the player just moved his mouse to swing the sword. I later added the gun, knowing that many people would probably prefer attacking from a safer range, since, of course, melee weapons entail a bit of danger.

[Image: tempi.png]

The game also includes a bit of customization. You can change the player's gender, hair color, body color, and bullet color at this point, though I also planned to eventually have a variety of different weapons (that would both fall under either the melee and ranged types; the only real differences would be mostly minor, with maybe some exceptions).
It was canceled after a little while because I wanted to write some documents for it. Then I ran into some specific implementation problems, mostly dealing with the clash between autoscroll and non-autoscroll. Then came TF2, and then the school year, so, it's definitely fallen to the wayside, especially seeing it was not a school project.

DL LINK:
If you want to play my prototype, here it is: http://host-a.net/u/Sploder/ChargePrototype.exe
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, I might upload some more of my scraps. The thing is, most of my games die before they even make it to the prototyping stage, so many of them don't have anything playable. On top of that, many of my older projects were lost when my other computer died. But hey, maybe someone will appreciate these.
This looks nice! What program did you use?
I use Gamemaker to make my prototypes. Because it's faster... and because I haven't quite learned how to do it in plain C++ and DirectX like I'd like to.

Also, thanks, though those would probably have been just simple prototype graphics; the full game might've had something other than stick figures. Or at least nicer looking stick figures...
Great! Game maker! What version? I really would like to toy around with this personally. With credit of course. But it's a shame it was abandoned early, especially since it seemed to have great potential; more weapons, improved characters, better customization, etc. I would have loved to play this if it was finished.
GM7 Pro

If you'd like, I can PM you the code. It's not well-commented, though, so I sure hope you can understand GML pretty well.
Oh Pro? I'm guessing it uses the advanced functions?
Yeah, it does: at least two of them (sprite_draw_ext is all over the place (figuratively speaking)).
Oh, I can't use it then. Shame. Maybe someone else can?