The VG Resource

Full Version: Hege makes plenty of pixuls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right right, allow me to start my showcasing.

From older to new.

[Image: 1onhnd.png]
Some sort of a staff. Made this last year and damn, I'm still proud of this.

[Image: 2ueip00.png]

Rawrgon. Pretty old aswell, but still, I really like this one, and have been thinking of making something useful out of this.

[Image: wa0s2b.png]

KARP KARP. The cat is my personal sawnik character so ignore that for now.

[Image: 1qojtg.png]
[Image: 104nq5f.jpg]
Back when fifa was more recent. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Now lets get to the more recent stuff.

[Image: qz5bok.jpg]

Bustiest damn gardevoir ever, shiny one too! I was suppoused to work on this some time ago but never got my ass off to do so. Oh well, critic would be very welcome on this anyway if I do get to work on it.

[Image: 289ir7p.jpg]

Tights are always fun. Too bad character wise I completely ran dry for her.

[Image: 21kxvzl.jpg]

But then I made another dragon again due of boredom. The purple one there is another one of my random characters who I use for height reference.

[Image: 2mgtatl.jpg]
And then this is the most recent thing I've lately done, Honey the Cat. I was planning to sheet her but this sprite turned like, super wonky for some reason. I personaly think I messed up the red colouring completely, but I'm not sure. Critic would be VERY welcome for this one

And thats that for now.
each of the dragons have a hell lot of jaggy lines

the rest of the works are alright though.
Are they supposed to be overshaded?
The first sprite is my favourite, the rest suffer from banding, as Iceman404 said.
Some of the outlines aren't refined and the palettes could sometimes be smoother, more balanced and more varied ( I'm thinking of the first sprite's tail amongst others).
Most of the poses for your sprites are very similar (the legs) and lack balance.
Also, expect criticism over critique on this website Wink
And as for the most recent sprite... you have tried to put detail in your sprite but it ended in an overkill; some parts should be lighter and others darker, the red readability issue can be solved if there are other colours to add to the mix. If you have more hue shifting you can different parts of her face and body too.
In the long term you should detach yourself from the Sonic influence, try and find a more personal way of expressing yourself.
I hope I helped in a way.
i'm not going to lie. of all that the best thing was the vuvuzuela.
Quote:each of the dragons have a hell lot of jaggy lines.
I'm glad you mentioned this, however I'm gona take a wild guess that the most of the jagged lines are basicly in the wings?
If so it might get tricky. I never really got the wings right in the first place.

Quote:Are they supposed to be overshaded?
Were you expecting 16bit or 8bit?

Quote:The first sprite is my favourite, the rest suffer from banding, as Iceman404 said.
Some of the outlines aren't refined and the palettes could sometimes be smoother, more balanced and more varied ( I'm thinking of the first sprite's tail amongst others).
Most of the poses for your sprites are very similar (the legs) and lack balance.
Also, expect criticism over critique on this website Wink
And as for the most recent sprite... you have tried to put detail in your sprite but it ended in an overkill; some parts should be lighter and others darker, the red readability issue can be solved if there are other colours to add to the mix. If you have more hue shifting you can different parts of her face and body too.
In the long term you should detach yourself from the Sonic influence, try and find a more personal way of expressing yourself.
I hope I helped in a way.

I think I found my new love!
The legs is something thats pretty much.. rooted to me. Its my basic "idle" when I try start a sheet, first brick of a wall.
Though when it comes to the balance, do you mean that the characters have some sort of tilting going on? Or have a nonsensible balancing going on like putting too much weight to some side that wouldn't work real life wise?

For your recent sprite critic, I tip you my hat. I never thought about the overdetailing, I was able to put my finger on that something was wrong with it and it was wonky, but didn't think of it that way. I'll see about the hue switches too, but I'm trying to keep it in the limits to keep a "happy" colouring.

And I've been trying to detach from Sonics quite a long now but tis still quite diffucult.

You helped a lot!

Though I don't really express myself or anything with sprites much nowdays though, most of the recent stuff I've made have mostly been practise to keep myself from completely negletting my spriting abilities in hopes I get myself inspired to finish something into useable limits, as I'm hoping to make a sheet that people could actually find useful some day, whenver its a sonic official character or a weapon sheet or a item sheet or something. This place is rather inspiring I must say.

..Talking about weapons;
I noticed I missed something from the start of the topic, something that I was suppoused to post. Now that I found it from my folders again I decided to slightly revisit it first and do some minor shading polish;

[Image: 245ii5u.jpg]

A doom weapon sprite set for comic use. I made thise some time, I can't really recall was it last year like the staff or last summer, the point mostly was to remake the classic doom weapons into smaller scale and more useable for comic use. As you might notice, the pallette is shared between the weapons. This was one of my bigger projects back in the day but never got around to finish the whole set.

..and yes I know the chainsaw looks like jelly, I should probably completely remake that one.

I'm actually wondering if this one has enough potential for me to try finish
Quote:Were you expecting 16bit or 8bit?
No, I just like sprites that don't need a zoom-in to notice little details and atleast have readability at 1X.
trust iceman when he talks about overshading, he used to do it a lot in the past.

besides what the hell does the amount of bitrate has to do with your sprite having serious issues of readbility. most of your sprite have several gradient shadows with low contrast amount them, pillowshading them in the process and giving them a completely dull and unreadable appearance for the most part. the last character is the best example of this: instead of using shading to represent volume and shape you just followed the linewaor shading inwards wich looks terrible.

here, take a look at some examples of how you could optimize your colors and shading overall
[Image: rampsak6.png]
Quote:Were you expecting 16bit or 8bit?
you can probably gather it by now, but unless it is explicitly intended to be in a specific style, tsr usually doesn't give a dick about "bit"
the most blatant problem is that you use way too much colors.

more colors =/= good pixelart. In fact, pixelart is a kind of art where you economize stuff. Of course, you're pretty much free considering that the computer can handle millions and millions of colors but that doesn't mean you need to pick each color known to the human eye to make your work.

You could edit that 4 shade ramp in most your sheets to have, like, three, and recycle them instead of making new colors. Also avoid using black in pixelart; it eats space and may trun your work in a black blot (e.g. your dragon).

You may also use a different anatomy 'set' instead of using Sonic's. Humans do not have skinny limbs, ball heads and huge feet. Using a more 'correct' anatomy will make it more original, as the Sonic sprites are too overrated by now (also most your chars have the same pose; try varying them. Posing is one of the ways you can convey someone's personality after all).

Make sure your outlines are smooth. Jaggies make your outline very messy, and it's a no-no in p. much everything. In addition to that, stop banding. It doesn't convey volume at all and makes your sprite look like crap.