The VG Resource

Full Version: Shading advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm making these sprites of Macho Grubba from Paper Mario 2. I've only made two poses at this point, and I don't want to continue until I've decided non how to shade them. I do want them to resemble the Paper Mario-style, so I'm not sure if I should keep the outline black or not.

Here they are:
[Image: machogrubbapv.png]
Also, if there's anything else you see wrong with them, go ahead and say so.
don't the paper mario characters have thick black outlines?
yes. And I don't think they even have very much shading. maybe even none.
Nero_Gamer Wrote:don't the paper mario characters have thick black outlines?

Not if they're in a different style.
gangster guy Wrote:yes. And I don't think they even have very much shading. maybe even none.
Well, he definitely has some shading
[Image: Mgrubba.gif]
I'm just not sure how well that would translate into a sprite. Should I just thicken the outline, and not shade him at all?
Try shading the same as Tubba Blubba from Paper Mario.
A.J. Nitro Wrote:
Nero_Gamer Wrote:don't the paper mario characters have thick black outlines?

Not if they're in a different style.

Yeah, I didnt think about that. I was just thinking about that style.

I would use at least one shade and highlight, or it wouldn't really look as good would it?

meh, just ignore me lol. I'm sure everyone else knows what they are talking about.
Alright, I thickened the outline around his body, and I thickened the outlines inside his body. Which one's the best?
[Image: machogrubbapv2.png]
How about you shade it before you decide to thicken the outline?
Cshad Wrote:How about you shade it before you decide to thicken the outline?
Because I'm still not exactly sure how to shade it. Besides, I think the size of the outline should be decided first.
Why not just use a normal outline :E
It doesent need to have a thick one to be a paper mario character/have a paper mario look.
i like the middle one the most. Wink
Yeah I'd go with the middle one. Still you might as well try to shade it, and then see which shading looks best.
the mouth is square at the back