The VG Resource

Full Version: Lets End to Start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So more modern games come with a feature that after you beat the game you can start a new one with some of the following features:

1) Keep you items
2) Start Game With Diffrent clothes
3) Etc.

Many games also have hidden jems in them as well (alternate clothes) which can be unlocked by doing or performing certain taskes.

What games have you playd that do this and which ones (features) do you like the best?

1) Rouge Galaxy --- Unlocking alternate clothes and starting a new game with them.

2) Legend of Dragoon --- Searching for something random (in LODs case Stardust) which rewarded various items and weapons if you collected all 50 of the Stardust.
Anyway, Super Paper Mario and Recettear are two games I've played fairly recently that do this. When I first beat SPM, I was kind of let down by how easy the main part of the game was, but I did still have the two Trial Pits and the Sammer Kingdom to beat. They weren't much harder (just kinda makework) though, and their rewards were kind of meh seeing that the game had already ended. But hey, it was able to keep me playing the game a bit longer than I would have otherwise, especially seeing that I never completed the pit in the second game. I think this game could have benefitted a bit from a slightly expanded story afterwards, maybe involving some "clean-up" missions of some sort, such as a sidequest to bring Bleck's minions back together, etc.

As for Recettear, after you've completed the "main" story part of the game, the story actually continues, allowing the player to trudge through more of the same randomly-generated dungeons, fight a few new bosses (and a lot of old ones... several times), and gain access to two new characters (both of whom are pretty cool). Personally, while the random dungeon system provides some difference between each play, I feel as though it actually makes them slightly more stale and repetitive than if each dungeon had actually been fully pre-designed. Pre-designed dungeons would at least ensure that each particular dungeon would be different, while this specific implementation of randomly-generated dungeons actually results in just about every dungeon being essentially the same thing, only with different backdrops and different exact layouts. Some of the random floor bonuses (such as double attack power or speed) alleviate this to some degree, but only because it speeds up the otherwise slow and boring process.

In the end, I suppose neither game nails the endgame extras quite right, but they do have their good points. I enjoy Recettear's extra story and new characters, and Super Paper Mario's... uh... well, I can't think of any off the top of my head for that one, heh.
I'm thinking that they may want to actually focus more effort on the things before the story ends, rather than work on too much endgame, but having endgame is still kind of nice, especially if it does come with some sort of nice reward (in my case, some extra story and development).

Why is it so easy for me to write this, but not my papers?

Endnote: Whoa text wall. Also, I don't usually like newgame+, because I don't want to have to start all over again, even if it's with new stuff. That's what gameover/restart is for.
In Recettear, with the additional characters, do you mean that's in a new game + ?
I played uuhhh... Endless mode, or whatever it's called, once I finished the game and realised: with no goals, it is super boring. Had to restart anyway since I lost my game files, so it's no big deal. I'm making a point of doing more dungeoncrawling, since I did barely any on my first playthrough.

Hotel Dusk has a New Game + feature that I never used ever. Apparently the vending machine stuff changes and there's some extra stuff you can do towards the end, but I reaaaally don't remember x:

EXCELLENT DISCUSSION GILLIAN.
I recently finished Persona 4, and finished Okami just this evening - both games having New Game + modes. I didn't actually finish the full endgame of Persona 4; so I feel somewhat inclined to replay - especially since I can burn through the ecome invincible and never run out of skill and demon grinding. As for Okami - the only reson to return is to complete its sidequests - which do absolutely nothing in the long run. The only unlockable that does something non-cosmetic essentially breaks the game (You become invincible, never run out of ink, and your damage output goes through the roof); so it wouldn't be nearly as fun.
Fallout 3. I plan to replay the game at least twice.
Resident Evil 5: starting a new campaign with a fully upgraded Hydra and decked out in heavy armor.
why do i feel OP is just a survey bot.
I never had the patience to play through any game a second time through that didn't involve online co-op

I've had the option to do so in pretty much all of the GBA+DS Castlevania games, but I never had the gall to do it (restart my file? hell no)
(10-21-2010, 06:52 PM)/■/ Wrote: [ -> ]why do i feel OP is just a survey bot.
because he claims to be a 27 year old american yet is struggling with basic english