The VG Resource

Full Version: Help me improve!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please offer me your C+C on the PA below.
I want to improve desperately, and I feel as though this forum can help me.
[Image: 05476e2447aaed8ee96aaa83819ac527-d311n2o.png]
Here is the process:
[Image: patrick.gif]
Thank you all in advance for you comments and criticism!
(10-18-2010, 08:30 PM)FlyingMonkey Wrote: [ -> ]Please offer me your C+C on the PA below.
I want to improve desperately, and I feel as though this forum can help me.
[Image: 05476e2447aaed8ee96aaa83819ac527-d311n2o.png]
Here is the process:
[Image: patrick.gif]
Thank you all in advance for you comments and criticism!

What do you want to improve on it?
You could possibly selout the thing, and reduce the over AA'ness...
but for it to remain your sprite after all, I wouldn't change much anymore...
If you intend to change its shape and such, you can do it by doodling around and applying physical rules
What is it?
The stance is a bit a weird on this. I'm not going to ask you to recreate it, but it does in my opinion look like its going to fall over. There are some volume issues, specifically with the face and readability with the eyes. Its nice though, has a cartoon cell shaded look to it.
It doesn't have eyes.
(10-19-2010, 06:15 AM)Iceman404 Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't have eyes.

You sureQuestion there are two clusters of pixels under the hat that could be eyes if they where a different colour, and they look like they're in a place where you'd put eyes. Maybe its just me?
(its one of those, if you see it, you can't unsee it things)
Looks like a stylized Piranha Plant from the Mario series to me. Those don't have eyes.

I'd suggest starting off by adding one more darker shade to the colours, and perhaps a dark gray that can be used universally to shade any colour. The mouth would also look more interesting if it was a little bigger and would show more depth.
if you want to imporve, redraw the entire sprite on diferent poses over and over, then change the subject to something else, then keep going nonstop until you get bored out of it or your inspiration runs out.

its the only way to improve.
I think he means improve this particular sprite not in general... But I think you knew that. Tongue
Oh, and another way to improve is to try to make animation cycles along with the static sprites. But of course, it's best to be sure that you're satisfied with the base sprite itself before moving on to animating.
Now, I'd like to point out that this is much better than most sprites made by new guys found around here.
The sprite itself is acceptable, but the colors are dull. Maybe saturate them a little more.
Also, your shading looks really flat, like Neslug said.
it's good, but you need to make it more interesting. the easiest way to do this is shading+colour palette.
go wild and post them!