The VG Resource

Full Version: Donkey Kong Country Returns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
...Is going to blow.

You know why?
Because they had a great chance to make a DKC sequel in full, fleshed out 3D, with the same ol' villains they've always had. The kremlings, but nooooo.

It's not that not having the kremlings in it makes it bad
It's that if it did, it'd be better.

The gameplay also looks a little rough, from what i've seen.
The graphics.. Well, they don't look like DKC. They look like DK64's graphics.
Bright and colorful.
Bleh.
One of the absolute charms of the DKC trilogy was it's graphics.
IMO, DKC2 looks better than this game already.
It's not that the style is bad, it just isn't very DKC-ish.
One of the things I noticed in the trailer was that, the shadows don't merge fluidly, and they progress too fast.

Furthermore, It's not that I expect perfection from this game;
It's just that If they want to make a sequel to a near-perfect game, it should damn well be perfect! I don't want something similar to what sega tried to do with Sonic 4.
How funny! You're wrong!
I am inclined to disagree - mainly because you don't support your opinion in any legitimate way.
"They are having new enemies! The graphics are charmingly colurful!!" does not in any way mean this game is going to be bad.
The only thing you said that makes any sense was the single line "The gameplay also looks a little rough, from what i've seen." But I haven't noticed that myself and you didn't give any examples or anything.
Also there should be a DKCR thread within the first couple of pages and this thread is completely unnecessary.
:/
(10-13-2010, 05:33 PM)JackMan Wrote: [ -> ]One of the absolute charms of the DKC trilogy was it's graphics.
IMO, DKC2 looks better than this game already.
It's not that the style is bad, it just isn't very DKC-ish.
sorry to burts your furry fanboy bubble but

the sole reason why the original DKC didn't look like this in the first place is because its was a SNES game using prerendered graphics pretending to look 3D back in the 90's.

its """"charm"""" comes from the character desing and solid, extensive gameplay, and the fact it was the game that set prerendered graphics as a trend (a trend that several games tried to follow but failed miserably). the same trend that got old really fast when everyone tried to use prerendered sprites with terrible shitty half assed character desings.
Cool nostalgia glasses you got there, bro.
I tried this game out at NY Comic-Con. I for the most part like it and I'm totally looking forward to its release. No scratch that, I REALLY like it.
The reason the graphics are all different is because the old DK model, Kremlings etc. are a joint copyright by Nintendo and Rare. When one of them isn't in the picture it makes things a little hard - so all the graphics resemble Jungle Beat instead.

I played with the nunchuk and at first I couldn't stand the controls, but they're actually all right. They're difficult to get used to but then they're OK - hold a horizontal direction and shake to do your rolling attack, DK's ground pound is done by holding Down on the nunchuk and shaking, and Diddy's jetpack is simply holding A while jumping (kind of like Yoshi's flutter) Diddy's popguns are done with the B button. And I *really* like how the two can team up and DK takes over Diddy's jetpack controls so you don't really need to switch.

I was playing along with Cinemarella and the best part by far is the multiplayer. Remember how NewSMB you don't really feel like you needed other people to help you - in fact, it became quickly competitive? In DKCR, your multiplayer experience is *awesome* - you're actually communicating with your friend on the couch constantly, relying on each other to reach different areas and open new paths.

if you have a bff, i think they'll be glad you got this game Heart

OH
and remember the roll-off-ledges-and-jump trick you probably used in DKC like hundreds of times?

It's a little harder to do on a nunchuk but it still works

also: NOA staff told me that there will definitely be more than one controller scheme selectable - they didn't disclose which ones exactly but chances are it'll be everything but the GCN controllers
from someone who isn't really a fan of the DKC games, this one looks kickass. i dont really feel like getting into specifics but it just looks way smoother and more interesting than the originals
(10-13-2010, 06:29 PM)/■/ Wrote: [ -> ]shitty half assed character desings.

You sir have made a powerful enemy.

However as much as I loved the Kremlings and King K.Rool, I'm fine with these new Tikis. Just as long as they don't permanently replace the Kremling Krew. That would be like Bowser being replaced by Tatanga. Mario can fight some new enemies once in a while. So can DK. But K.Rool is still King! Got it fucker?

Quote:The reason the graphics are all different is because the old DK model, Kremlings etc. are a joint copyright by Nintendo and Rare.

Everything DKC still belongs to Nintendo. That was the agreement. We still have Kremlings they appeared in such Nintendo games as King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Barrel Blast, hell even the Mario sports have Kremlings.

So its not because of copyright issues were not getting old enemies its because they just didn't want to use them. And that's too bad, but I'm not holding that against this game.
(10-13-2010, 07:36 PM)Koopaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-13-2010, 06:29 PM)/■/ Wrote: [ -> ]shitty half assed character desings.

You sir have made a powerful enemy.
[Image: homealone.jpg]

i'm going to asume you misread that thinking i said DKC's character desing was shitty. wich is stupid because what i said is that most games just used Prerendered sprites for the sake of, without having a good character desing to back up the use of said prerenders over regular sprites (see: Killer Instinc, Doom Marines, Clay Figther 64, etc).
It.. It was an opinion.. :C
(10-13-2010, 11:09 PM)JackMan Wrote: [ -> ]It.. It was an opinion.. :C

ours are too. welcome to the internet where people can disagree with you.
this game is the main reason I regret selling my wii.
(10-13-2010, 11:09 PM)JackMan Wrote: [ -> ]It.. It was an opinion.. :C

And that's fine. But if you want people to respect your opinion you must present it in a little more intelligent way.

You should have said: "In my opinion I don't like that there's no Kremlings and the colors are too bright."
which still is a poor reason not to like a game but w/e
there isn't much i liked about the dkc series aside from the music (which is amazing)

dkc returns could be pretty good but I'm not really looking forward to it or anything
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10