The VG Resource

Full Version: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'll get around to the other stages and General Hawk later. Four days of playing this game is enough for me. I need a break from it. No, I didn't play it for four days just to rip the sprites. I played it for four days so I wouldn't suck at it and so I could figure out cheat codes even if I still sucked at it after three days.

And yeah, this game tried to exceed the NES's limitations, but fuck the few haters out there: this game is beautiful. The soundtrack isn't memorable, but the sprites are pretty well done for an NES game. There's quite a bit of flickering but nowhere near as bad as Commando. They could have reduced the flicker in some areas by using background tiles for bosses, but still, when you think about how many sprites are on the screen at any one time, especially in stage 1, it's a beautiful game for its time (1990).

Oh yeah, and for you Brits who like changing names, G.I.Joe is also known as Action Force. But for God's sake don't call it that here.

Side note: I'll get back to organizing Dragon Force in a while. I just want to take a break from it.

[Image: gijtitle.png]

[Image: gijduke.png][Image: gijblizzard.png][Image: gijsnakeyes.png][Image: gijgridiron.png][Image: gijrocknroll.png]

[Image: gijstage1.png]
This should do it for the sprites. Well, the icons are left and the cut scenes need to be ripped still, I guess. But as far as the sprites that actually matter, they're all done.

A lot of "unused" sprites, I know. I beat the game, didn't notice any changes on the 2nd run, so I assume what I put after Cobra Commander are all unused. Some are incomplete, suggesting they were obviously scrapped. Others, such as the cannons, may have been included at first then removed. The wall-mounted cannon wheel might have been in the game and I just overlooked it, as the floor-mounted version was used. The weird giant wave (which I put in red >_> ) may have been used by a boss but I never saw it.

[Image: gijhawk.png]

[Image: gijvehics.png]

[Image: gijstg2.png][Image: gijstg3.png][Image: gijstg4.png][Image: gijstg5.png][Image: gijcobra.png]
All of these rips are excellent

Keep up the work
The General Hawk sheet has a grey square in the 2nd row, but that's the only flaw which I can find.

Great sheets =)
It's fixed. Remember to hit "refresh" to clear the cache if you redownload it.

I must have forgotten to turn off the grid while I was working on his sheet. Usually I'll turn the grid off after I make a sheet to see how it looks (usually just for aesthetics), and I would have noticed that discoloration if I had. I couldn't see it at all with the grid on, but as soon as I turned it off it was right there. But it's a minor error in the sheet, just the wrong background color.

Don't forget your sandwiches that I made you.... Look at all your different colored hats!