The VG Resource

Full Version: Smithy re-design WIP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Got bored and wanted to practice.

[Image: smithydesignwip.png]

Should I continue?

Or... scrap?
Don't be mean.
Is it going to be a single pose pixel art or semi-functional sprites?

Either way, I'm interested in seeing at least one frame of a completed version.
Those lines are looking pretty jaggy, smooth out yo' curves.

Also: unless you're going to be doing this completely greyscale: don't ever use pure grey ever. Pure grey absolutely does not exist in real life- grey is usually just a veeeery desaturated version of another colour. Give it a slight tint, or when you add colour, the whole colour-scheme will look flat.

I'm also wondering exactly what is with the lumps on his head (skull?). Is he meant to have that kind of lumpy texture, or are you just adding shadows at random? :C
(10-10-2010, 04:28 AM)Profanisaurus Wrote: [ -> ]I'm also wondering exactly what is with the lumps on his head (skull?). Is he meant to have that kind of lumpy texture, or are you just adding shadows at random? :C
robert liefeld head pouches

yeah, this is looking pretty promising - I was wondering why you weren't going with one of the more classic appearances like in Mario RPG when I realized "oh, this is a re-design"

he's looking kinda Megaman though, which I'm not sure if those fit into Mario universe nowadays >>
don't look too bad
and SMRPG being my favorite game, I'm interested in this being continued
(10-10-2010, 04:28 AM)Profanisaurus Wrote: [ -> ]Those lines are looking pretty jaggy, smooth out yo' curves.
I was trying to go with a paper mario-looking outline.. where it's thicker? I guess that's an excuse though. I'll fix it.
Also: unless you're going to be doing this completely greyscale: don't ever use pure grey ever. Pure grey absolutely does not exist in real life- grey is usually just a veeeery desaturated version of another colour. Give it a slight tint, or when you add colour, the whole colour-scheme will look flat.
That was deep
Will do.. Maybe a really dull brown? Since.. He's metal?

I'm also wondering exactly what is with the lumps on his head (skull?). Is he meant to have that kind of lumpy texture, or are you just adding shadows at random? :C
Heh, no. Since he's old and.. Well, metal, again, I figure he'd have a few dents in his head; as battle scars. Nice touch? Or should I just take it away?

(10-10-2010, 05:59 AM)Kosheh Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2010, 04:28 AM)Profanisaurus Wrote: [ -> ]I'm also wondering exactly what is with the lumps on his head (skull?). Is he meant to have that kind of lumpy texture, or are you just adding shadows at random? :C
robert liefeld head pouches

yeah, this is looking pretty promising - I was wondering why you weren't going with one of the more classic appearances like in Mario RPG when I realized "oh, this is a re-design"

he's looking kinda Megaman though, which I'm not sure if those fit into Mario universe nowadays >>
never really played megaman.. but, the style is similar I suppose.
What do you mean, exactly? I get the gist of it, but... idk.
Thanks for the critique though, it made me happy.

(10-10-2010, 02:52 AM)DameonLG Wrote: [ -> ]Is it going to be a single pose pixel art or semi-functional sprites?

Either way, I'm interested in seeing at least one frame of a completed version.
Well, if it was pixel art i'd have to do a background and all that stuff too..
Semi-functional, I would guess.
feel free to add a reference for those who doesnt know the character
He looks nothing like Smithy. The head is reshaped, and the only thing that is familiar is the crown. It's a decent first draft, but if you're going to call it Smithy it should look like Smithy.
I'd go for a bluer kind of colour for metal, personally, or, if you're planning on adding rust, then go for a slight brown like you said, otherwise the rust would stand out too much.

The shading's kinda wrong for a dent; you want harsh and (fairly) straight lines for dented surfaces, and possibly highlights around them to show where the metal's curving inward. I'm having some difficulty finding a decent reference for you, and I don't know what to tell you to make it convincing with pixels because pixelart really isn't my area of expertise. Someone cover for me? :C
(10-11-2010, 03:43 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]He looks nothing like Smithy. The head is reshaped, and the only thing that is familiar is the crown. It's a decent first draft, but if you're going to call it Smithy it should look like Smithy.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there Ton.
Just because it's stylized differently, doesn't mean its entirely off-base reshaped.
I'd like to see more before saying this looks nothing like Smithy.

but to each their own I guess.
(10-11-2010, 03:43 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]He looks nothing like Smithy. The head is reshaped, and the only thing that is familiar is the crown. It's a decent first draft, but if you're going to call it Smithy it should look like Smithy.

Re-design.
I guess I could round out the eyes.. I thought it'd look scarier that way.

even a redesign should still look similar to the character you're intending it to be
(10-11-2010, 03:55 PM)Profanisaurus Wrote: [ -> ]I'd go for a bluer kind of colour for metal, personally, or, if you're planning on adding rust, then go for a slight brown like you said, otherwise the rust would stand out too much.

The shading's kinda wrong for a dent; you want harsh and (fairly) straight lines for dented surfaces, and possibly highlights around them to show where the metal's curving inward. I'm having some difficulty finding a decent reference for you, and I don't know what to tell you to make it convincing with pixels because pixelart really isn't my area of expertise. Someone cover for me? :C

Lol, thank you but it's fine. We have a really, really old sledgehammer that's got a few dents in it. I figure I can use that as a reference.
...How you can dent a sledgehammer, I'm not aware of, but I digress.

But, here's what I've started to wonder. If something is dented, does that excess space go?
I can't really describe my thoughts; When you pinch your arm, the skin goes up, and the area around the arm becomes thinner.
Does it work the same way with a dent, only opposite? (With the "arm" getting wider because of the indent)

(10-11-2010, 06:53 PM)Cure For Cancer Wrote: [ -> ]even a redesign should still look similar to the character you're intending it to be

I suppose that's true.
[Image: angrysun1.png]

That's what I hope to achieve.
My own style.
With practice, I think I'll prosper.
I think he is doing beardless Smithy anyway. Which looks different from the Smithy we usually see portrayed.
[Image: smithytotw.png]
Pages: 1 2