The VG Resource

Full Version: [GAME][IN DEVELOPMENT][UNPAID TEAM][PLAYABLE] Codename MythScape MMORPG
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been working on getting a basic engine going for a few weeks now. I finally have the client and server talking happily to each other.

This game is 100% my code, the current graphics (5 or some images) were taken from random places on Google (I choose images that to the best of my knowledge are in public domain.)

The current client can only do the following:
Chat
Move around a map, and from map to map
Perform an action (Although none are implemented)

I know the above is not very impressive BUT I own real Software Development Company (Kamilon LLC) and have developed games before, this is a chance to be a part of something real. This particular game is developed in Java, it was chosen so the game is platform independent.

Everything I am going to say from here on out are the current, and near future plans for the game.

Within the next couple weeks (or days if people get excited enough to start working on this soon) I plan on doing the following:
Naming the Game (currently codenamed MythScape)
Monster Sprites
Better Graphical UI
Coding monster AI
Implementing Actions (skills, combat, ect)
Private Messaging
Decorative Sprites

I see the above as being needed ASAP. I do want to find 2-3 people to do graphics/spriting and mapping for the game. If you are on the team, you will have a special in-game look, as well as be labeled differently (GM John, for example) and get some special in-game rewards as they become implemented and available.

This post is fairly messy but that is only because I want to get back coding this immediately. When you log on, please be aware that I am strictly a developer, the graphics are horrible. Also, keep in mind many things ARE GOING TO CHANGE, I already know that I am going to make the client and map larger.

Anyway, please come check it out and see if you want to help. Graphics alone will really tidy this game up.

Controls:
Arrows Keys to move
Tab to perform actions (useless right now)
Chatting is at the bottom of the screen, type to talk, and enter to send of course

Codename Mythscape Client download
http://mythscape.kamilon.com:8080
Username: TSR
Password: TSR

EDIT:
Go to that website download the client, it is not an installer file, just a simple JAR. Feel free to scan the file with a virus scanner.

EDIT:
I just had someone log onto the server from here. They stayed on for about 30 seconds and got off. I'd like to ask that if you log on, please stay on for just a bit and try to talk to me, let me know what you are thinking, or at the very least, post on this topic with your criticism.
You should really put an actual game title in the Title.
Instead of just tag.
(10-06-2010, 07:59 PM)Proton Wrote: [ -> ]You should really put an actual game title in the Title.
Instead of just tag.

Done, but with the codename of the project since, if you read the post, it still isn't named.
(10-06-2010, 08:02 PM)Kamilon Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-06-2010, 07:59 PM)Proton Wrote: [ -> ]You should really put an actual game title in the Title.
Instead of just tag.

Done, but with the codename of the project since, if you read the post, it still isn't named.

You said it had a codename.
That'd be the title.

(10-06-2010, 08:58 PM)Proton Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-06-2010, 08:02 PM)Kamilon Wrote: [ -> ]
Instead of just tag.

You said it had a codename.
That'd be the title.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I fixed the title.

Anyone interested in joining the team? Already added a couple more things since I started this thread.
(10-06-2010, 09:32 PM)Kamilon Wrote: [ -> ]Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I fixed the title.
Didn't say you didn't.

But I was just asking why you didn't put a title.

And then you said it didn't have one, and you posted one.

And then I asked why you didn't put it in your topic title.

But then you said you didn't have one.

And so on.
And so forth.

But yeah. That's that.
I just added a screenshot. Check it out, log on, see if you want to do some serious spriting.
(10-06-2010, 10:17 PM)Kamilon Wrote: [ -> ]I just added a screenshot. Check it out, log on, see if you want to do some serious spriting.

Go for using Imageshack to upload images.
(10-07-2010, 04:32 PM)Proton Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-06-2010, 10:17 PM)Kamilon Wrote: [ -> ]I just added a screenshot. Check it out, log on, see if you want to do some serious spriting.

Go for using Imageshack to upload images.

Is there a reason for that? I figured using the built in forum function would be best...

I have my own websites if I should post it up there for any reason.
By using the insert image feature with a link inside it, the image shows up right in the post. Otherwise you have to click stuff and it's kind of annoying/can be slow

Also I really don't think it's a good idea to ask people for help when all you have done is basic movement. I'm pretty sure when I tried the movement was really slow, too.
(10-07-2010, 06:39 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: [ -> ]By using the insert image feature with a link inside it, the image shows up right in the post. Otherwise you have to click stuff and it's kind of annoying/can be slow

Also I really don't think it's a good idea to ask people for help when all you have done is basic movement. I'm pretty sure when I tried the movement was really slow, too.

Correct you are. The problem I keep having is as I develop new features I need graphics, I have done placeholder graphics, but when you have placeholder graphics do more than one thing, it makes it hard to debug(you don't know if the little box is a placeholder for a tree or a mining rock)...

The movement is slow right now, but that is because the server is running on an extra machine, on a residential internet connection. I will be moving it to the Kamilon server soon.
What does that even have to with this?

Upload picture.
Use tags.
Boom. Picture appears.
He was responding to the second paragraph
Currently down as I am moving it to the new server. I'll post when the game is back up.
The server is back up. Now on a dedicated server.

I also threw up a cheesy website for the game. As an added bonus, FORUMS! Join now, comment, suggest!

mythscape.kamilon.com

As of this post, we are looking for:
Spriters
Graphic Designers
Web Designer