The VG Resource

Full Version: [FANGAME][IN DEVELOPMENT][UNPAID TEAM][PLAYABLE] Metal Gear Linke
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, basically I'm working on a massive (to be) game with Game Maker. This was originally my assessment project for the course at my high school, but that was ages ago and I decided to keep going with this. So, technically speaking, this is version 1.1. It's a stealth platform game.. (strange combination) but it's working out better than I had expected.
(Linke is my surname, if you wanna know what is up with that.)

Anyways, I have all of the game planned, and a hell of a lot of it programmed. However, despite the many weeks, maybe even a month of two of work I have done on this... monster, I still have a long, LONG way to go. Out of what will be about 25 levels, I have done 3 and a half. Level design is simple though, so it's okay.

So, you're probably thinking "Yeah, what's his point?"
Well, I'm putting this out here because a) I want to submit this game SOMEWHERE, not like my other games which I've either lost with my old USB or just died and b) IF YOU WANT!!! I need a small amount of help.
At the same time, I don't expect any help without giving anything back. I'm allright at programming with Game Maker, and I also use a program called Anvil Studio to arrange and compose my own MIDI sequences, which if you are a fellow programmer, you could possibly use in your own games. Just call out, I'm happy to help you with anything you need that I can do!

I've attached some screenshots of what I have done so far. Let me explain the game for you all, eh?

For those of you who are farmiliar with the Metal Gear series, you'll know exactly what I am on about.

Basically, a year after the Shadow Moses incident (MGS1), Snake gets called to the Amazon Rainforest to shut down a FOXHOUND base. You go through about 25 levels of bullcrap to do with staying hidden from the idiotic guards and stuff, and eventually find that Liquid Snake and Big Boss were never killed. (I know, I'm twisting the storyline.) You fight Liquid in a Metal Gear Rex, and Big Boss in a Metal Gear Linke. Now, I have some concepts on what Big Boss will be in, but haven't done a hell of a lot about that just yet. Anyways.

Resources. For music, I have done about 3 or 4 of my own tracks, the rest are from http://www.vgmusic.com/. These guys are great. Lots of MIDI files completely free from lots of your favourite games. Royalty free too, but I ALWAYS put the site in my credits because I love their work. They are so good. For sounds, I found some MGS sound pack through Google. Pretty crappy quality, but that's nothing that Audacity can't edit out.
For sprites (this is the big one for you guys), I took a sheet called "Imperial Guard Sprites" from my school's thingo, which have some tag on it by a guy called CollegeKid, who is in my credits. Psycho Mantis, Liquid Snake, Meryl Silverburgh and Gray Fox are my own animations done from the original templates from Zarla from DEVIANTart. The big one, my Solid Snake and Codec sprites are by... is it ?UNKNOWN?..? I'm not sure, but that's what it says on the bottom of the sheet. Dude, I already have your logo on the bottom of my game info in big letters. Thank you so, so much! You're a legend. XD

So, keeping in mind that I'm happy to do any music or programming favors for you all, I'd really appreciate your feedback and your help if you feel somewhat obliged out of your awesomeness.

There are only a few things I need help with, and I'll love you forever and ever if you can. (In a non-creepy kinda way.)
First of all, I need voice-actors. Because, a) I'm an Australian. Doesn't really work... except my colonel voice sounds kinda decent. b) my best recording device is an Eyetoy camera and c) I can't voice Meryl! lol
So, I need voices for Snake, Meryl, Gray Fox, Liquid, Big Boss, Psycho Mantis and some soldier voices. You know, when they call out shit like "What was that noise?" and "Who's footprints are these?". I can voice Otacon (his voice has a similar tone to mine) and Colonel on a good day, but if you feel you can better me, feel free to contact me.

Secondly, and I know you are going to HATE me for asking, but I really need some sprite sheets.... only 2! Smile
I can't find any decent army helicopter sprites for Liquid's Hind D (military helicopter thing), so if you feel you can help, please!
And last, but not least, oh no. Not least at all. I need a spritesheet for Metal Gear REX... (If you have NO idea what that is asking of you, just google Metal Gear REX. THEN you will understand.) I have TRIED to do my own REX countless times through Game Maker's editor, but I have failed countless times. So please, could somebody help me with this? I will offer my help to you in whatever way I can... even if you don't want to help me I might help if I can. If you can help me, I will put your name(s) in the credits (and if you do REX for me, I'll put it in really really big letters with a couple arrows pointing to it.)

So yeah. That's my massive-ass project. In total, the gmk file is about 10 MB, which, uh, isn't really very small for a game maker file. In fact, it's quite big and only bound to get larger. When I have programmed Liquid's Hind fight, if I can get to a broadband computer (yes, I have dial-up. Laugh it up...), I'll upload an executable file for you to have a play.

Here are a couple screenshots.
[attachment=3842][attachment=3845][attachment=3843][attachment=3844][attachment=3846]
(I have halved the siz of the screenshots so I could actually upload them.)

Sorry for the long post guys. I just had a lot to say Smile
first, stealth platformer has been done before. but good luck with that! the game scene isn't saturated with them anyway.
second, this looks like a thinly-veiled attempt at requesting sprites. you're allowed to ask for a team, for someone to help you. asking for sheets is another thing (we have another board for that).
Righto, thanks mate. I changed the tags. Genki ^_^

Also, I have decided to upload an executable file for you all to have a look at, but I get an error message saying "The type of file that you attached is not allowed. Please remove the attachment or choose a different type." How can I upload my executable if it says that?

But as soon as I can correct that, I've got a file ready for you to have a look at. However, this is a VERY early version, and I am aware of a few bugs.
put the executable in a zip file and attach that.
LOL shit, sorry mate, I should've known that.

Anyways, here is a Beta version of my game, Metal Gear Linke. Even in a ZIP file, it was too big to directly attach to this forum, so I've uploaded it on Mediafire and put in the link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?71pr9pl3feypme1

However, this is the Beta version, and I am aware of a large number of bugs. However, I am quite proud of it so far and is coming along nicely.

Bugs include the soldiers not always seeing you when they should, not always shooting, the ration system is only a temporary substitute, I haven't installed proper sprites for the actual rations, and I haven't finished the credits section in the Game Information yet. There are a few more, but the list is rather long. Happy playing!

Voices. I do voices.

edit- and might I suggest using photobucket to host those images (in full size) instead of making them attachments
Rightio, thanks for the tip.

For voices, are you familiar with the MGS1 cast? If not, I've posted some youtube links anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayZG-RJCUYs This is the Psycho Mantis fight. You can hear the voices of Mantis, Snake, Meryl and the Colonel in that video. Naomi is in there too, but I don't like her so I'm not including her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKLc3ZIVxew This is actually from the Gamecube remake of MGS1. This shows Liquid in Metal Gear Rex fighting Snake. It also shows Gray Fox saving Snake's skinny ass, in an extremely kick-ass kinda fashion. You can hear the voices of those three characters in that video.

That covers everybody, I think. Gimme a shout if you're still keen, or if I've missed anybody. Smile
The voices are funny haha... Well, I hope you make better, because the controls looks very bad for me... how about press climb down isntantly? Not holding it...
Good lucky man
Rightio... I've done what you've suggested with the climb down thing. I'll say it's even a little bit better for me. Don't know why I didn't think of that before.
Anyways, thanks HEAPS for the suggestion. Can you think of any other improvements I could make?

-edit- I've found three of my mates that are willing to voice Liquid, Otacon and Meryl, so they're all good voice-wise. Smile