The VG Resource

Full Version: TO ALL NON-PROGRAMMERS: DISREGARD THIS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With the serious lack of developers on tSR I'm interested in starting a group learning project to teach people who've never programmed before/have only a little experience. Here's a poll to see if there'll be enough people to make it worth my time.

Only answer "yes" if you are legitimately interested in learning how to program. It doesn't matter how inexperienced you are, I'm going to assume you're a total beginner. I'll be teaching you C++, but we'll start with a easy multi-platform game library so it won't be too hard.

If you have any comments or criticisms on the idea just post them.
While not necessarily wanting to become an /indie dev/, programming is a useful skill. I learned some Visual Basic as part of a Computing course a couple of years ago; and although it was obviously really simple and unimpressive; it was fun.

If you're offering a coding masterclass - in any language - I'd be happy to participate.
Same here, really.
I did a little game maker back in the day, so I may know a little vocabulary.
Anyways, thank you very much, I'll be needing basic skills.

Will we have homework assignments ?
I know a /little/ C++ already, but I'm nowhere near proficient enough for it to be useful.

Yes.
(09-25-2010, 05:17 PM)Lexou Wrote: [ -> ]Same here, really.
I did a little game maker back in the day, so I may know a little vocabulary.
Anyways, thank you very much, I'll be needing basic skills.

Will we have homework assignments ?

i'm still figuring out exactly how things will go but for now it looks like:
-I'll write up a quick guide on a programming concept and an assignment to do something related
-You guys read the guide and try to do the assignment
-If you guys need help with the assignment I'll be on Skype. I won't do it for you but I will help you understand it.
-give me the assignment, i'll tell you how you did and give you the next guide and assignment

also it won't be a "everyone do this by this time" thing. I think it'd be best to work with everyone individually Smile

e: we can also have group discussions on what you've all done if everyones up for that
I would simply love to learn how to program.
(09-25-2010, 06:32 PM)Ninspriterx Wrote: [ -> ]I would simply love to learn how to program.

ditto, learning C++ could be pretty well useful

teach me to program so i can betray you and make games all by myself
Wow, cool! I was trying to learn programming (not C++, but still usefull) but i gived up because i can't find someone who is good at it (when I was looking for for macromedia flash tutorials). I have some experience with MUGEN too Cute. I just don't have skype T.T
Wouldn't it be better to start with a language with higher level routines rather than c++. C# is pretty intuitive and can have much of he same functionality if you want to get into much more complex coding.
I used to know how to do stuff in Java. Years ago. I'd follow along.
Yes, I would love to make the next Mario is Missing.
(09-25-2010, 09:09 PM)Kaikimi Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it be better to start with a language with higher level routines rather than c++. C# is pretty intuitive and can have much of he same functionality if you want to get into much more complex coding.

actually I'll be using a set of libraries to make this easier.
(09-25-2010, 09:56 PM)NorskSengirDev Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2010, 09:09 PM)Kaikimi Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it be better to start with a language with higher level routines rather than c++. C# is pretty intuitive and can have much of he same functionality if you want to get into much more complex coding.

actually I'll be using a set of libraries to make this easier.

What a name for a set of libraries.
[Image: 400px-Trollface.jpg]

add me too, wishing to learn how to program
Pages: 1 2 3