The VG Resource

Full Version: BULLETSTORM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
REMEMBER THIS FUCKING GAME ROCKING YOUR DICK OFF AT E3 THIS YEAR?
ORIGINAL FOOTAGE FROM E3.
MORE FOOTAGE. INCLUDES A NEW WEAPON.

Quote:In case it wasn't obvious in the title, Bulletstorm is a game that wears its heart on its sleeve. But even that's too subtle -- it's a literal, pulsating heart stapled to a mesh shirt from the '90s. It makes a great first impression, especially when it heralds the long-overdue return of first-person kickery. That's an industry-wide re-boot I can get behind.

Bulletstorm feels like an addictive, 30-seconds-of-fun shooter that fits right alongside Epic's Unreal Tournament games.
It's a bit more functional now than it was in Wolfenstein 3D, of course. In Bulletstorm, it's best to think of your enemies as piƱatas filled with delicious, delicious points. A solid kick will send them into the air, where they'll hover haplessly for a few seconds while you decide the most brutal arrangement of attacks. Shoot them in the head for a skillshot bonus, tug them into spiky or exploding environmental hazards with your extendable energy leash, or simply kick them again. As I experimented on offing the level's army of hazmat punks, I felt consistently rewarded, as if I no longer needed to nudge the person next to me and say, "Hey, did you see what I just did?" The game itself is a captive audience to your stylish violence -- and it tips.

Article includes 3 minutes of the playable demo presented at TGS 2010.

Five months.

GET YA KICKING LEGS READY
ugh, god, i just want an FPS where i can punch things.
bulletstorm and killzone 3 come out on the same day

that is going to be a great day
how do i thank all the posts in this thread

the buttons are broken
(09-23-2010, 03:31 PM)MUSIC IS MY BOYFRIEND Wrote: [ -> ]how do i thank all the posts in this thread

the buttons are broken

might be your computer because they work fine for me.

Also this game is gonna own the other FPS's out there, peace.
I'm not sure my body is prepared for this game.

*Masturbates furiously to gameplay trailers of this game*
(09-23-2010, 11:54 AM)KOJJIRO Wrote: [ -> ]ugh, god, i just want an FPS where i can punch things.
[Image: ready2rumblenew.jpg]
(09-23-2010, 01:54 PM)Track Eleven Wrote: [ -> ]bulletstorm and killzone 3 come out on the same day

that is going to be a great day

Dammit I can't thank this post any harder. I mean Bulletstorm, but shout outs to Killzone 3? MAN, big day. Not sure I can handle.

Someone teach me to thank posts harder.
Who voices the player?
It sounds so familiar.

Alternatively, it's badass.
What else can you say?
Demo's out, game owns, resume discussion before I plant my foot in your poop passage.
Homie Missile.

That is all.
Played the demo, Best FPS of the year.

Leash, Kick then shoot them into a wall, there's a kill using skill.
Later.
THE LACK OF PEOPLE THAT OWN THIS GAME IS DISTURBING

I just finished the campaign.

Pros:
- The story is surprisingly well-done
- The dialogue is incredibly entertaining
- The game itself is beautiful
- There are over 100 different skillshots to perform
- It seems like it's a lot easier to do specific skillshots in the full game than in the Echoes demo (stuff like Rear Entry and Mercy seem to be occuring more often)
- All of the weapons are incredibly fun to use and have their own uses-- you'll probably find yourself cycling through the weapons often
- The campaign is at least 6 or 7 hours-- longer than most shooters
- The gameplay rarely feels dry and repetitive in comparison to many other FPSs on the market
- There is plenty of replay value in not only completing the campaign multiple times, but in the leaderboards, which record both your campaign performance and how well you do for each separate Echo (score attack missions based on campaign scenarios).

Cons:
- There are still a few funky glitches to iron out-- sometimes your weapon holding will glitch out and you'll hold your weapon improperly (such as: holding the revolver like an assault rifle, holding the shotgun like the Bouncer, etc)-- this doesn't actually negatively affect gameplay at all, it just looks really silly.
- You may encounter a fairly rare bug where you get stuck in "passive pose" and will be unable to use weaponry or move at normal speed. Reloading the checkpoint fixes this.
- Dialogue may feel forced during certain story situations, but these almost always involve the dickhead general, so it makes sense in a way.
- The only available "multiplayer" for this game is a 4-person "horde-style" mode. There is no PVP involved, so if you were hoping to kick human players across the map while they have a rocket-propelled drill in their chest-- you'll be sorely disappointed.
- There are a couple of awkward moments in the graphics-- namely, low-res textures placed in odd areas that can cause a "clashy" feel with the lush, detailed landscapes.

If I had to rate this game personally, it'd get about a 9 to a 9.5 from me. The over-the-top action and the creative weapons feel like a throwback to older FPS games that never took themselves seriously, while retaining the overall next-gen style of FPS games (zooming in/iron sights, regenerating health, etc). Bulletstorm is a game that really can't be compared to other games, however. If someone were to walk up to you and ask "what does Bulletstorm play like? Is it like Halo, or more like Call of Duty, or maybe even Half-Life?", your natural response would be "it plays like Bulletstorm." It doesn't "feel" like it's trying to fit in with the current "big dogs" of FPS games, and that alone puts it leagues above the aforementioned FPS games.

And yes, it's totally worth the $60 price tag.

If you're still unsure-- you can always download the demo and give the game a whirl. Run through the demo Echo a few times until you feel adjusted to the controls.
i believe the variety in how you can use the weapons is somehow inspired from the weaponry in the unreal tournament games.