The VG Resource

Full Version: Bobby Kotick insults every indie game dev in the world (Except Bungie)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/art...?id=265559

Quote:"Bungie are a very unusual company," Kotick told investors last week. "They're probably the last remaining high quality independent developer. It's very hard to [pauses]... that has sort of has institutional skills and capabilities. And they're a real company.

This man is the Hitler of video games.

Come on, you're not giving the guy any credit. Hitler was smart.
You do realise that it's just a man who isn't a gamer trying to give good PR?

For a lot of people who don't know much about gaming, the indie dev scene is almost invisible. As good as a lot of the games are; they're just not marketed to the widest audience - the very casual or non-gamer.

A lot of people would have heard of Guitar Hero or COD, and by extention they'll know of Activision. They'll also know about Halo. The guy in charge of Activision giving props to Halo? Well that's a big repping right there.

Look at it from Kotick's point of view - Bungie are a big name. Not necessarily recognised by brand name, but definitely by product. Kissing up to them is a great way to show that he's totally supportive and a team player. Great PR. Imagine the backlash if he said that he didn't like the Halo series or Bungie. Even if he gave good reasons for saying so, and it was clear it was just a personal opinion; there'd be a veritable shitstorm.

Edit: Why is this in Game Devlopment? Dear me, Woppet be more careful. >=|
(09-20-2010, 02:31 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]You do realise that it's just a man who isn't a gamer trying to give good PR?

For a lot of people who don't know much about gaming, the indie dev scene is almost invisible. As good as a lot of the games are; they're just not marketed to the widest audience - the very casual or non-gamer.

A lot of people would have heard of Guitar Hero or COD, and by extention they'll know of Activision. They'll also know about Halo. The guy in charge of Activision giving props to Halo? Well that's a big repping right there.

Look at it from Kotick's point of view - Bungie are a big name. Not necessarily recognised by brand name, but definitely by product. Kissing up to them is a great way to show that he's totally supportive and a team player. Great PR. Imagine the backlash if he said that he didn't like the Halo series or Bungie. Even if he gave good reasons for saying so, and it was clear it was just a personal opinion; there'd be a veritable shitstorm.
He could of just said, that Bungie are one of the best if not the best indie devs out there. He didn't have to say they were the only good one.
(09-20-2010, 02:31 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: Why is this in Game Devlopment? Dear me, Woppet be more careful. >=|
Shit. Sorry man, guess i missread it.
[Image: 500x_custom_1254327748115_bobby_kotick_extravaganza.jpg]
Hyperboles are a bitch. He wanted to just dish out the praise; but didn't think about the fraction of his userbase that actually pays attention to the gaming industry at large.

I personally don't like Kotick. He's a major player in the way the Western gaming industry can be structured, but he's treating video game production as a utility industry - like cars or appliances - not as a form of media.

Great businessman; terrible visionary.
Now I know why I hate activision so much.

The only reason why he's saying it is because no other dev is on their side.
But Bungie isn't an indie game company
(09-20-2010, 03:09 PM)Rob Wrote: [ -> ]But Bungie isn't an indie game company

this applies to every dev. company far as I see it.
... no game developers are indie?

Err...
So, when did anyone start listening to Bobby Kotick again?
"we're going to affiliate with the dudes who made that game"
"halo?"
"yeah, whatever. as if someone else had made worth any shit in the last 10 years".

bungie being well known for halo yes. being the most important... not even close.
bungie is an indie game dev?
whats indie
Pages: 1 2 3 4