The VG Resource

Full Version: Amnesia: The Dark Descent, A.K.A. FFFFFFFFFFF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This game will make you blast your pants with shit.

Amnesia is a game created by Frictional Games, the guys who made Penumbra (one of the scariest horror game series I've ever played) where you play as Daniel, some crumpet-eating British fellow who wakes up the the middle of the really god damn eerie Castle Brennenburg. You have know knowledge of what you're doing, and even take a while to remember who you are, but eventually you come across a letter from yourself telling you what to do.

You don't know why, but you chose to forget. You chose to forget everything. In the letter, you find these morbid instructions:

"God willing, the name Alexander of Brennenburg still invokes bitter anger in you. If not, this will sound horrible.

Go to the Inner Sanctum, find Alexander and kill him."

So, it comes to be that you have to find and kill this man Alexander. But there's a catch.

"One last thing. A shadow is following you. It's a living nightmare, breaking down reality.

I've tried everything and there is no way to fight back. You need to escape it as long as you can."

So yeah, basically, you just have to find and kill this guy, without any weapons, while running from this horrifying thing you encounter along the way and trying to keep sane.

This is one of the scariest games this year, if not of all time. I actually have to take breaks sometimes because of the fear. If you don't have this, get it. You can get it on Steam for $20, and it's well fucking worth it. Make sure to play it at night with the lights off and headphones for the full experience.

[Image: amnesia-20100903-1833560.jpg]
out of curiosity i looked up penumbra, because that trailer sucked
at 2am.

why did i do this
Man, I can barely play Bioshock, this will kill me

totally buying it when I get paid this weekend, awww yeah. It's getting to autumn now, longer nights and colder temperatures = best time for scaring myself shitless.
real women scare themselves in broad daylight with all of the lights in the house on and traffic being really noisy outside oh and also theres a huge glare on the screen because the sun is like "HAHA WHAT ARE THOSE? CURTAINS? NOT ANY MORE THEY'RE NOT" and literally shines straight through them

me
im a real woman (no im a nose)
I'm a woman and the only horror game that ever scared me was the first Fatal Frame (because my dog snuck behind me and touch the back of my neck with a cold wet nose). After that...Pffff
If this game is really scary then I'm going to get mildly tense. I'll let you know
How scary, exactly, is this game?

People said Dead Rising was scary. I got it, and it's more fun than scary. (It's not scary at all.) Yeah, there are a couple of unexpected scenes the first time around, but those are more attributed to jumpers/screamers than anything else.

People said Dead Space was scary. I got it, and it's just a fun (yet borderline generic) zombie alien shooter. The only part that surprised me was that huge tentacle coming out of the wall, and that was only because I wasn't expecting a jumper directly after a boss battle.
I'm not a fan of horror games in general : (

hell, I get paranoid playing Resident Evil 5

I'm passing on this game. Unless I want to shit a hole through my chair.
(09-13-2010, 01:49 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]How scary, exactly, is this game?

People said Dead Rising was scary. I got it, and it's more fun than scary. (It's not scary at all.) Yeah, there are a couple of unexpected scenes the first time around, but those are more attributed to jumpers/screamers than anything else.

People said Dead Space was scary. I got it, and it's just a fun (yet borderline generic) zombie alien shooter. The only part that surprised me was that huge tentacle coming out of the wall, and that was only because I wasn't expecting a jumper directly after a boss battle.

You were given weapons in those games.

You don't have any weapons in this game. And you can't attack your enemy, just hide.

So yeah.
so i got this but my graphics card hates this game, apparently.

gonna try on desktop later.
penumbra was a weird game, man.
scariest moment in any video game ever made
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KdOnnaypxc
(contains spoilers)
this and penumbra are the only games i have ever found to be truly scary without any screamer startle shit
I don't see what so scary about anything in horror aside from something that happens so sudden.

Probably why I like prefer Illbleed over most horror games, Until I see more gameplay on this I don't want to bother.
(09-15-2010, 03:15 PM)masterofdioga Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see what so scary about anything in horror aside from something that happens so sudden.

Probably why I like prefer Illbleed over most horror games, Until I see more gameplay on this I don't want to bother.

Just get the demo, bro.