The VG Resource

Full Version: [Art / Shading Test ] Chibi Neru Akita
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys. Long Time No See.

I drew Neru Akita. Please excuse the lack of anti-aliasing.
Does the shading look okay?

[Image: chibicuteneruakita.png]

[Image: chibicuteneruakitasonic.png]

C+C Please.

- Paul
Surprise

I get to meet the infamous PJAMA

You ought to read up on the basics, sir.

Oh I get to use that line again. "You're shading just to shade, you need to shade to show depth." There's quite a few things in the art resources thread that you should take a look at. I don't know if this goes against what most people would say but I think it's actually more useful to learn how to draw more realistic people before trying to draw little cartoony/chibi/whatever ones. There's still a certain structure that should be there, even in small things, but you really learn it if you go all the way.
Your lines are very wobbley, learn to make them less wobbly, also you should add more shades then just 2 colors, your anatomy needs a lot work, feet don't bend that way, heads are not that big, arms and legs are not that short, torsos are not that long, and the tie is off center.
(09-06-2010, 10:20 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: [ -> ]Surprise

I get to meet the infamous PJAMA

You ought to read up on the basics, sir.

Oh I get to use that line again. "You're shading just to shade, you need to shade to show depth." There's quite a few things in the art resources thread that you should take a look at. I don't know if this goes against what most people would say but I think it's actually more useful to learn how to draw more realistic people before trying to draw little cartoony/chibi/whatever ones. There's still a certain structure that should be there, even in small things, but you really learn it if you go all the way.

The reason why I shade is because whenever I try to draw something with just 4 colors or such, people ask me to shade no matter what.

Thanks, Sir. Sometimes I might get confused on what "depth" really means. Being an Encyclopediac, the word "depth" can have multiple meanings (e.g. 1 - to show how deep a object is, 2 - the level of specificness) Does "depth" mean to make deep or make realistic?

I feel proud of my works. Smile
(09-06-2010, 10:27 PM)PJAMA Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, Sir. Sometimes I might get confused on what "depth" really means. Being an Encyclopediac, the word "depth" can have multiple meanings (e.g. 1 - to show how deep a object is, 2 - the level of specificness) Does "depth" mean to make deep or make realistic?

*maaa'ammm

...(Somebody else explain it for me

I'm a loser at shading and I don't want to say something wrong Heart)

Edit: ...Um. well I don't even wanna make you wait so I'll just give it my best shot.

The way I think of it is, you're drawing things on a 2D plane but you kind of want to show that they're not just flat beings. You want to...simulate 3D, I guess. So by showing depth, you're showing that things go deeper, and around, and such. You have to keep real-world light and shadow in mind, too.
(09-06-2010, 10:30 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-06-2010, 10:27 PM)PJAMA Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, Sir. Sometimes I might get confused on what "depth" really means. Being an Encyclopediac, the word "depth" can have multiple meanings (e.g. 1 - to show how deep a object is, 2 - the level of specificness) Does "depth" mean to make deep or make realistic?

*maaa'ammm

...(Somebody else explain it for me

I'm a loser at shading and I don't want to say something wrong Heart)

Edit: ...Um. well I don't even wanna make you wait so I'll just give it my best shot.

The way I think of it is, you're drawing things on a 2D plane but you kind of want to show that they're not just flat beings. You want to...simulate 3D, I guess. So by showing depth, you're showing that things go deeper, and around, and such. You have to keep real-world light and shadow in mind, too.

Oh, so what you're saying that if my drawn 2D Neru existed in a 3D environment standing on a coordinate plane, there would be stuff in the background just behind her and some parts of her would be 3D-ish, including a shadow.

Like this picture here:
[Image: mikuex.png]

Imagine Miku is 2D and standing in a 3D enviornment, and there's a shadow.

Amirite?
(This is pretty ironic coming right after that DA thread post)

...um, I guess so. Basically when you're shading you need to put though behind it, rather than being "oh, this is a section, I'll shade in the corner farthest from the lightsource"

For example, the hair casts a shadow, clothes go over the body and the face has planes

But I just learned about face planes recently and I dunno if you even should incorporate that into chibi things. Where's all the experts?

Oh I remembered something important though! You shouldn't be so worried about shading right now; you should learn how to make good lineart first. Shading's kind of an extra sort of aesthetic thing, lineart's a more basic thing that should come first, because no amount of shading's gonna make a not-so-great lineart suddenly really good.

Basically I'd suggest studying up on the body and trying to draw a bigger, more realistic picture. Not necessarily realism (though there's all sorts of benefits to that, I rarely do it because I think it's so boring myself...) but just, y'know, real-ish proportions. Of course we can help you along the way, but it's a place to start.
Yeah, the lines are wobbly and the arms really are too stubby...but the Pikachu outfit means it is win. WIN, I SAY!
ugh @ the way you post. Don't use 'WIN' or 'FAIL' or similar here, because they make you look like an idiot.

About the drawing, you aren't going anywhere if you don't even know a little bit of anatomy. Again, I don't mean to read every anatomy book and memorize all the muscles, but at least to have a decent idea about them.

Also you aren't shading; only making a darker line in the right part of the drawing. Shading is meant to give volume to the drawing, and that isn't happening.
did you just draw sonichu-
@Francisco Cifuentes, yes. I drew Neru Akita styled as Sonichu.

@Gorsal, thanks man. I'll keep practicing in Paint.NET. I won't use phrases like that.
okay

i
don't want this to come across the wrong way
i really don't

i can see you're legitimately trying to change, so i don't mean this in a hostile way, but

did you really post those thinking that they were actually GOOD?
(09-10-2010, 09:09 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]okay

i
don't want this to come across the wrong way
i really don't

i can see you're legitimately trying to change, so i don't mean this in a hostile way, but

did you really post those thinking that they were actually GOOD?

Yes.

But I just noticed something though, her ponytail isn't finished...
The unfinished ponytail is honestly the least of your worries for this. Even going by a 'chibi' style, Everything is lumpy and disproportionate. Her torso is /huge/ compared to her stubby legs which only face in one direction. It looks undeniably wrong and awkward.

I know it's a bit cliche when people tell you to use references when doing artwork, but it's really really important for this reason. I dare you to find /any/ existing high-quality artwork that uses the same flat drawing style with bloated torso and 1-direction feet. I double dare you.

In the meantime, take a look at these - see how even though they're also 'chibi', they take prportions and anatomical depth into account:
http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-04/...ancer.html
http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-04/...-man1.html
http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-02/zww-link1.html