The VG Resource

Full Version: New Pokémon Platform Project [Check Page 4]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hey there! this is my first sprite, you can say all you want about it,

[Image: ashketchum21.png]

You just tell me what to improve and I'll try to do it,

That's all
help I'm Ash the bottom half of my arms got cut off in a pokemon accident and due to that I'm incredibly stiff
Be more specific. Moneyman.
All of his limbs are too short/small. Check some anatomy or art from the show. You also can't tell that his arms have any elbows. He looks like a cardboard cutout instead of an actual person.
the sprite is also mirrored.
While this isn't a /huge/ problem, most people aren't 100% symmetrical.
Y'know, it isn't really that bad for a first sprite.
But it's still pretty bad.
The main thing you need to work on is the anatomy.
also the inside outlines shouldn't be black as they 'eat' the space available in the sprite area
It also looks like you've liberally used the Line tool in paint. I'm not saying that you SHOULDN'T use tools, what you should aim for is to make it look like you DIDN'T use them, if that makes sense.
Let me reply one by one.

(09-06-2010, 10:13 AM)MoneyMan Wrote: [ -> ]help I'm Ash the bottom half of my arms got cut off in a pokemon accident and due to that I'm incredibly stiff
Mmm, like I said before, you can say all you want, doesn't matter =) (but still didn't understand Sad)

(09-06-2010, 10:23 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]Be more specific. Moneyman.
All of his limbs are too short/small. Check some anatomy or art from the show. You also can't tell that his arms have any elbows. He looks like a cardboard cutout instead of an actual person.
- If I make it bigger then it won't be the way I'm thinking, I just want to make a regular sprite.
- I don't know anything about that "Anatomy" you're talking about :?
- Yeah, I missed the Elbows, but I really don't know how to make 'em. I might try to do something.

(09-06-2010, 11:21 AM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]the sprite is also mirrored.
While this isn't a /huge/ problem, most people aren't 100% symmetrical.
I thought it'd be better that way Unsure

(09-06-2010, 11:24 AM)Woppet Wrote: [ -> ]Y'know, it isn't really that bad for a first sprite.
But it's still pretty bad.
The main thing you need to work on is the anatomy.
Again the Anatomy, I really don't know about that =S

(09-06-2010, 12:05 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]also the inside outlines shouldn't be black as they 'eat' the space available in the sprite area
I want to improve some things and then I might change some Black Outlines.

(09-06-2010, 12:09 PM)TomGuycott Wrote: [ -> ]It also looks like you've liberally used the Line tool in paint. I'm not saying that you SHOULDN'T use tools, what you should aim for is to make it look like you DIDN'T use them, if that makes sense.
That's right, gotta apply it pixel art things, but first gotta learn x)
Uhm, anatomy. The body has a structure. You have to keep certain things in proportion or else it looks awkward. For example the legs should be longer than the body, the bottom part of the legs on your sprite are very short compared to the top part of the legs, and I think there's a better measure but I usually consider the wrist to line up with about, um, the crotch. I guess. Of course bodies are all different but they all have these basic rules and the size of body parts can be viewed as related to each other.
when in doubt or ignorance, is always good to read a tutorial.
http://www.elfwood.com/farp/prop_musc/proportions.html

(although ignore the horrible examples there, focus on the writing)
I 've read this:
Quote:The head/body ration of an adult is about 1:8, that means the whole body is eight times as long as the head.
And I just ask myself, is it talking about all human drawings (including sprites) or is just for anime/manga/comics?

However, for me, what the tutorial says is than I have to start the sprite and start drawing a skeleton,
I really don't get it, I don't know if you wanna keep helping me, but if you do, I'd be grateful ^^

`Thanks for your time´
(09-06-2010, 09:17 PM)isael-21 Wrote: [ -> ]I 've read this:
Quote:The head/body ration of an adult is about 1:8, that means the whole body is eight times as long as the head.
And I just ask myself, is it talking about all human drawings (including sprites) or is just for anime/manga/comics?

However, for me, what the tutorial says is than I have to start the sprite and start drawing a skeleton,
I really don't get it, I don't know if you wanna keep helping me, but if you do, I'd be grateful ^^

`Thanks for your time´

It's for anime/manga/videogames/comics/catroon/realistic bodies/humans/sprites/everything.
What Kat said is right. Certain styles don't follow it though, including pokemon I think. Ash isn't a full-grown man anyway, so you shouldn't try to force it on this particular sprite. Basically you should look at some pictures of him to get an idea of his proportions.

...The skeleton sketchy part...um...I feel like it'd be best if I let someone else explain that. Or maybe some other time when I'm not feeling so lazy~
felt too lazy to post something original so I specified starsock's pose a bit

(09-06-2010, 07:14 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: [ -> ]Uhm, proportion. The body has a strict structure. You have to keep certain things in proportion or else it looks awkward. For example, the length of the navel to the feet is 1.6 times longer than the length of the navel to the head, the upper legs (from right below the hips to the knee's bottom) are as long as the lower legs (from the knee's bottom to the foot's sole), and I think there's a better measure but I usually consider the wrist to line up with about, um, a bit below the crotch. I guess. In addition, when stretched down, the elbows line up with the navel. Of course bodies are all different but they all have these basic rules and the size of body parts can be viewed as related to each other.

There are other problems but that is the biggest one in the ash sprite

That's andrew loomis' ideal adult male head length, but ash isn't really eight heads tall

I'd go for five heads

EDIT: made a tip more clear
all in all, all you have to do is try to learn the basic proportions in a human body(wich apply to any human body you could ever draw no matter in wich "style") and practice over and over. they may change sligthy as obviusly not all human beings share the exact same proportions.
[Image: 30mo5s0.jpg]
the purpose of using a wireframe or "skeleton" is basically to help you get an earlier idea of the pose and placement of each join/limb without going into more detailed sketching. you eventually get to drawa body without the need of this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4