The VG Resource

Full Version: There is a reason!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: itmakessensenow.png]

I've been pretty busy until very recently so i tried to fix this
I like the third one the best but i'll let you decide which is bettre

crits please
Whats the difference?
(09-04-2010, 11:43 AM)Iceman404 Wrote: [ -> ]Whats the difference?

The third one's outlining is different and there are slight shading differences at the top of the head
There's not much in it but there are differences
Ah, now I see it. The outline sell-out works great on the third one.
(09-04-2010, 02:14 PM)Iceman404 Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, now I see it. The outline sell-out works great on the third one.

thankees Smile

any improvements to be made?
That 1 pixel that dents in on the person's right leg makes it look a bit sharp. Maybe just close that 1 pixel-gap up?
well, your palette isn't hue-shifted at all and your distribution of saturation is all wrong; that first shadow should be more saturated than the second one

do you know what hue shift is or should i demonstrate it for you

I've fixed the leg, i've changed the palette but not hugely. Is it really necessary for there to be a saturation gradient between shade? i chose these colours because they looked good and represented the sandstone well.

What would you suggest to hue shift? the stone wouldn't seem like sandstone with hue shifts to red or yelloy due to its peachy colour.

but yeah, any more feedback?
If you can't make the sandstone look like sandstone with a hue shift, you're doing something wrong.

Hue/saturation shifts are important for a few reasons:

1. light has a colour, generally the lightsource produces a more yellow hue on the lightest shades, invariably making the shadows seem some shade of blue in contrast. (this is under the assumption that the lightsource is yellow or a related colour, of course.)

2. light and saturation are a fine mix indeed, shadows generally feel a bit greyer and duller than the highlights, they're not just the same colour but darker.

3. Honestly? It just looks better.

----------------------------------------------

Now on your argument that your colours represent sandstone well, that's a complete lie, google search for sandstone statues; I don't see anything that even comes close to the colours you picked.

Trust me on this, people are telling you to apply hue shifts and some minor palette changes for a reason, once you'll get a hang of it you'll never stop using it when it comes to doing art, it's that fundamental to colouring.
My opinion about hueshift is that it isn't needed in some RARE cases (and I've yet to find them). Otherwise, using it will only improve the overall feeling of your piece and the others yet to come.
I have changed the colours so there is a saturation gradient between them, yeah i suppose it does make sense.

The problem about the sandstone colours is that i only had one reference and the lighting in the ref was of an orangey hue Unsure

i'm apprehensive about using hue shifting as i only really hue shift to the neighbouring colours rather than opposite colours. what colours would you recommend to shift to
Neorice Wrote:(...)generally the lightsource produces a more yellow hue on the lightest shades, invariably making the shadows seem some shade of blue in contrast. (this is under the assumption that the lightsource is yellow or a related colour, of course.)