The VG Resource

Full Version: Humanoid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: pirategirlcrop.png]

C+C please?
Why is it always colors? I can't crit colors

There's a lot of banding, I think. I've never even used that term before but it's in the spriting dictionary so if you don't know what I mean go check it out. Your pallette's kind of strange to me, it could use more contrast especially on the hair. Oh, and the legs are much too short compared to the rest of the body (I think the legs are supposed to be longer than the arms?)
The back of her head sticks out too far.
contrast, anatomy, use less colors
why'd you delete your last thread, you could have improved that one a lot
(09-04-2010, 09:49 AM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]contrast, anatomy, use less colors

Be more specific
this relates to iceman's post but yeah,
the head is positioned awkwardly on top of the body. the neck should join to the baack of the head not to the front
move it left slightly to fix this

The top of the neck is too light also which makes the head seem disjointed (is that a word?). make it a bit darker so that it joins with the head
The way the top of her dress is on the upper portion of the torso makes it look stuck on to her instead of the straps going over her shoulders. I think the main reason it looks that way to me is because of some proportion and perspective readability issues in that area of her body.
as far as C+C, her legs are rather twiggy (most legs, or poses rather, have some bend in them) they don't stand completely straight up.. the dress is flat (it needs to be rounded, right now it looks like you used a ref. from a skirt that was on a cushion so it would ruffle) her right arm is good, but indicate where the left arm ends. the head is okay but if you're going for a 3/4 view then you need to show the left eye or a small portion of it
Shouldn't go against the grain, but I almost find the enlongated head shape a bit cute;

If there's any crit I can give is that this sprite is really forgettable, what exactly is the reason behind it? Art for art's sake? Anatomy practice?
The C&C I'd give you really depends on the purpose of this 'ere thing.
(09-04-2010, 11:39 AM)Kaikimi Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2010, 09:49 AM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]contrast, anatomy, use less colors

Be more specific

Some of the colors feel washed out overall; increasing it a lil' more, especially in the hair shades, might be interesting.

The anatomy is completely f'ed up, I suggest starting over, but this time with a sketch first. A problem that I had when I was starting pixelling is that I didn't make a whole sketch before making the actual piece. Learning to sketch first will hlp you a lot.

Some colors can be ditched because of the lack of contrast. Pixelart is a type of art that you use less colors; cramming a lot of colors as possible in a small sprite clearly isn't a smart thing to do.
Neorice Wrote:I almost find the enlongated head shape a bit cute
It's okay

but it's good to remember that this distortion happened because the artist made a mistake, and not by stylistical choices. Just pointing this out because some people like to hide in the 'this is my style, it's supposed to look horrible like this' excuse.
(09-03-2010, 11:15 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, and the legs are much too short compared to the rest of the body (I think the legs are supposed to be longer than the arms?)

I did a quick anatomy check, and, proportionally, it's not the legs that are too short, but the arms that are too long. Most people's legs are the same length as both their torso and head, whereas the arms should reach down to about halfway down the upper leg, or a quarter of the way down the total leg, with the elbow hitting just above the waist.

The proportion in this isn't really that bad, it's just the arms that are the real issue.
and the elongated head.

and the broken torso.

it looks like those Egypcian drawing atm because of the weird perspectives (frontal torso, profile head, etc)