The VG Resource

Full Version: *read this* TSR TUGS? *read this*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
remember TUGS
would any of you feel up to doing something like that again?

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about:

TUGS was a "tournament" held at tsr way back when it was still the pixeltendo forums.
The tournament has an initial challenge that, when completed, every entry is compared and all of the entrants are split into tiers (beginner, intermediate, "expert") Once members are split into tiers, they each receive a challenge much like the ones Shawn posts here every once in awhile.

None of the tiers are related, so each bracket receives a challenge based on the general level of talent in that tier (for instance, the beginner bracket would never be expected to make a 300x300 minimum pixel art of a mythical creature using only pure red, green, blue, and black; likewise, the expert bracket would never be asked to pixel a small idle sprite with gameboy color limitations)
on top of this, if you win the beginner bracket, you won't have to worry about challenging the winner of the expert bracket; there's essentially 3 winners.

The tournament is judged by 2 or 3 people who handle coming up with the challenges, judging the victors of each match (obviously), and handling pretty much everything about the tournament.

If you guys are up to this, I'd definitely be able to host it assuming that two other *competent* spriters are willing to be judges (and not enter the tournament on top of that). The length of the tournament will be based on the amount of people to enter.

So yeah, if enough people are interested I'll select some judges and start a thread with the initial challenge to place everyone in a tier sometime in the next month
I entered this last time and kept up until I lost in like, the second round. So I'm up for this.
Hell yes. Count me in of course.
i'd like to if it happened this week or next week, after that you won't see me anymore. :I
Even if it started next week, there's no way it would last only that week
TUGS is supposed to be A Huge Thing involving as many members as possible
I remember when the first challenge was to color that lineart of Bowser, it was real interesting to see what people did.
I'd really like to see TUGS make a comeback but i'm not sure TSR has enough spriters any more..
(09-01-2010, 05:32 PM)Track Eleven Wrote: [ -> ]Even if it started next week, there's no way it would last only that week
TUGS is supposed to be A Huge Thing involving as many members as possible
i know that, but i meant for me to have at least a chance of entering it :/
TUGS takes quite a while since it's multiple rounds where each round lasts a few days. So 2 weeks might not even cover it if there's a lot of entrants.

I would suggest drawing in people from partner sites (PxC defnitely, if you guys have dA Spriting friends, maybe even like... TIGS? idk) for additional numbers. Make that shit huge.
I'd totally actually try to enter this time

but I doubt we'd get enough entrants : (

unless a majority of other PT members who don't show up anymore magically reappear and stick around for one more TUGS
I mean, last TUGS had 48 people
there's no way we're going to get that many spriters unless someone wants to advertise their asses off
I am up for another round of The Ultimate Greatest Spriter.

Also, you should do what they did back then with the preliminary rounds.

[Image: tugentryss8.png]

Remember this? You were tested in Color choice, Shading and lineart, and then they threw you into one of the 3 tiers.
(09-01-2010, 05:37 PM)Rosencrantz Wrote: [ -> ]I'd totally actually try to enter this time

but I doubt we'd get enough entrants : (

unless a majority of other PT members who don't show up anymore magically reappear and stick around for one more TUGS
so try to bring people here before i make you eat a fuc
oh hey skink posted

yeah i was planning on doing that

not those sprites exactly, but yeah
woah i remember that yeah i'm gonna do this
Oh my

I hate competition and I don't have the time to work as much lately but I'd probably do this anyway just to make the entry amount go up and to feel like I'm doing my part. This sounds really helpful if you're forced to do specific things, 'cause I don't go outside my comfort zone nearly enough. In both drawing and spriting 'cause since I don't sprite I can't really say what I do with that
my name is shawn and i am the most competetive spriter in the universe.

YO
I'd enter and try my best. I'm legitimately interested in the concept.
Pages: 1 2 3