The VG Resource

Full Version: How's this for my models?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Thanks to some encouragement from Valforwing, I decided to give my custom Gummi Ship model another try. This time, however, I'm using a different file host for my ship and everything is compressed in a zip file. Not only does the file contain the obj and the mtl files, but I also included a dae version and ma and mb files (just for Maya users, like myself). Plus, I even included a completely different version of the ship that has all the errors Shadowth117 wanted me to fix.

Personally, I would have just did this tread in the submission section, but I wasn't up for creating a second topic and I didn't want to double post. On top of that, I wasn't sure if this zip thing would actually work, so I decided to test it out in the section that would allow me to experiment. If it works, I'm going to submit more models to this site!

Before I forget, here's the link to the file.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HQXIA3PW
This looks pretty good now actually, I'm glad you decided to go back and improve it a bit.

Anyways, you're .ZIP worked fine and I think I'll be able to put it up now. Still, for stuff like this in the future its best if you post it in this section first so people can critique it and you can fix it up before your final version.
Wow! I didn't think my ship would ever be accepted, but it looks like I got all the procedures right and I think I have a winner!

By the way, since you did say that the file is ready to be up on the main site, I think you'll be needing this.

[Image: icon-1.png?t=1283392381]

I took the liberty of putting "Maya Friendly" on the icon to show that it contains files that can be used in Maya, such as MA and MB, in addition to the typical OBJ and DAE files. That way my submissions can be used in nearly any 3-D program and Maya users can instantly know it!

Anyway, since you mentioned that I have to post all future models in this section, does that mean that you can take the zip for hear and put it on the main site, or do I have to officially put it in the submissions section before you can do that?
(09-01-2010, 09:06 PM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]Wow! I didn't think my ship would ever be accepted, but it looks like I got all the procedures right and I think I have a winner!

By the way, since you did say that the file is ready to be up on the main site, I think you'll be needing this.

[Image: icon-1.png?t=1283392381]

I took the liberty of putting "Maya Friendly" on the icon to show that it contains files that can be used in Maya, such as MA and MB, in addition to the typical OBJ and DAE files. That way my submissions can be used in nearly any 3-D program and Maya users can instantly know it!

Anyway, since you mentioned that I have to post all future models in this section, does that mean that you can take the zip for hear and put it on the main site, or do I have to officially put it in the submissions section before you can do that?

Well actually I took the liberty of making an icon already earlier, but thanks anyway. Don't worry too much about people knowing if a model is Maya friendly or not either. Anyone should be able to import .OBJ models at the very least. Unless there's advanced things on the model like rigging for example, .OBJ format allows you to get your model imported just fine.

Oh and no, you don't have to put it in submissions technically, but if you don't it'd be best if you let me know what you want submitted and what you don't want on the site.
To be honest I think that this would have fit better under Custom/Edited in submissions Shadowth. But next time perhaps.

I just think keeping things organized would be to our benefit. But there's little enough at the moment here that clutter isn't a big worry.

I understand that in the sprites section they ask people to post custom stuff into discussions first. But considering E-man had already had a topic regarding this model it seems more like a submission thread to me personally.

Oh and before I forget I think you did a fine job with this model E-Man. It looks quite impressive. I'm most curious to see what other custom models you will bring our way.
Thank you everybody! I'm so glad my model has such positive feedback!

By the way, I'm working on on a Koopa Troopa right now. So far I created the foot. However, I'm wondering which type of smoothness I should use. Should I do a basic mesh and apply soft edges to it, or should I smooth the entire mesh? Here's a picture to compare the foot types I made. From left to right I have the basic mesh before smoothing, the basic mesh with soft edges, and the mesh smoothed out and tweaked a bit.

[Image: Koopafeet.png?t=1283726146]

What do you guys think?
Ah finally someone else posted in the Models Resource section. I'll be honest there's little difference to me from the soft edges and the entirely smoothed mesh. I think just doing the edges is the better path because for some people who may use the model having more faces due to a more smoothed mesh may make it harder for their selected program to render it.
Ah! I was wondering when you would post again, Zerox! Yes, I had a feeling that I should go with the basic mesh since it's pretty easy to work with and I can use it right away. However, I might consider making a HD version of that model in the future, so I'll save the foot for later.

Anyway, thank you for your input, Zerox. By the way, Valforwing wanted to talk to you about using your Grey Fox model for his MMD thing and sharing the final result with others. Can you talk to him about that since he asked me earlier about where you are?
Ah okay an HD version would be well off for later use that would be fun to see. I'm glad I could give an opinion. I responded to him on Deviant Art just moments ago. I've just been busy with relatives that came for a visit and then I had a date this weekend too. So I had other obligations.

But yeah you were wondering when I would post again yet I was getting frustrated because I had the last post in each of the 3 sections for over a day or two. I can't exactly keep posting to myself. =P
Sorry, I've just had a lack of things to say lately Zerox so I guess I haven't been a real help to that.

My opinion is about the same as Zerox's on your model so far E-man. It looks great and It'd be cool to see it once it gets more developed.
(09-06-2010, 09:44 AM)Zerox Wrote: [ -> ]Ah okay an HD version would be well off for later use that would be fun to see. I'm glad I could give an opinion. I responded to him on Deviant Art just moments ago. I've just been busy with relatives that came for a visit and then I had a date this weekend too. So I had other obligations.

But yeah you were wondering when I would post again yet I was getting frustrated because I had the last post in each of the 3 sections for over a day or two. I can't exactly keep posting to myself. =P

nice to see u back on the posting thingy, we was missing u...feeling sick better lie down. can't wait to see more models from the Model Trio Supreme.

ullg....my headGonna Puke
I must admit that I am quite excited to see what you do with this. Being that this as a character is quite different from a ship built out of shapes. Not to say I doubt your skill but I look forward to seeing what you can do.
(09-05-2010, 05:45 PM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you everybody! I'm so glad my model has such positive feedback!

By the way, I'm working on on a Koopa Troopa right now. So far I created the foot. However, I'm wondering which type of smoothness I should use. Should I do a basic mesh and apply soft edges to it, or should I smooth the entire mesh? Here's a picture to compare the foot types I made. From left to right I have the basic mesh before smoothing, the basic mesh with soft edges, and the mesh smoothed out and tweaked a bit.

[Image: Koopafeet.png?t=1283726146]

What do you guys think?

it looks like an unpainted mickey foot. or maybe sora's foot. hrm.. u could maybe make a chibi sora with this or a doll version of him
I immediately thought of a Mickey foot too.
(09-09-2010, 10:37 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]I immediately thought of a Mickey foot too.

yup
Pages: 1 2 3 4