The VG Resource

Full Version: KingPepe's attempt at custom spriting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I kinda got into custom spriting a few days ago since I was bored that day. Decided to give it a try on Nijikaku's Atusi (despite putting the original sprite in the top-left, I didn't really use his sprite as a reference since I gave him long sleeves and different feet) and AV Bishoujo Senshi Girl Fighting's Sugico.

[Image: atusisprite.png]
[Image: sugico.png]
wait one second.

what is that sprite in the top left corner suposed to be.
The top left sprite is meant to be the original sprite, not mine.
Me and my constant commenting

the guy's left arm doesn't make sense and green sailor mercury saria wannabe's right foot isn't connected properly. Left and right from their perspective, not ours. Her legs are kind of big swooping curves, try to incorporate muscle shapes if you can. You could use some better colors on the white parts. In fact, better contrast all over the place probably.

Big sprites like these are pretty demanding, so don't get discouraged and don't be afraid to play around.
im tired so here's the short version

anatomy sucks (if you're gonna try and come back with "but i'm not really going for complete realism", go fuck yourself)
not enough contrast
lots of banding
you appear to be shading just to shade instead of using shading in the way it's meant to be used
face on the top one is a cluttered mess
oh welp star beat me to it
I literally waited for you to post first

and then I got tired of waiting hah
(08-28-2010, 09:27 PM)KingPepe Wrote: [ -> ]The top left sprite is meant to be the original sprite, not mine.
i mean from where is that suposed to be.
Holy crap, I'm actually getting concrit for this stuff...I like it. Smile
Yeah, I guess I'll try to fix them up.

All right, tried to fix Atusi/Atsushi up:
[Image: atusisprite.png]
did you even try to do something?
the arm and colors are a bit different

you gotta do something about that mouth it blends in too much
[Image: kingpepeed.png]
may i suggest you cut down your colour count, especially for the greys?
notice how you try and fit every shade when you shaded the arms, the result is a banded mess.
i drew up a quick figure, just to get the arm length/ pose a bit more convincing.
How much should I cut down the colors to?
four including outline for the shirt imo. a total of maximum... 16. if you re-use some colours (like the hair for the trousers, the shoes for the hair or whatever) you can bring the count right down.
gonna agree with chirs here

until you really have a solid grasp on shading (and colors in general really), it's a good idea to limit your palettes