The VG Resource

Full Version: Generic Pokemon Fisherman
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well time for my first sprite thread
[Image: pokemon_fisherman_by_welonminter-d2xftdf.png]
I can already see a problem with his right arm and the bottom of the left side of the trousers, anything else I should fix?
Edit:
[Image: fishymanv2.png]
WelonMinter Wrote:Update, well i tried to fix the shading of the legs, still not completely happy with it. But I think it's much better than the old one. Other stuff I tried to do;
-fix positioning of lower body
-light source in the hat
It looks like the front of his pants is his ass :x
His body and head aren't facing the same way and you shouldn't make both feet go in opposite directions

edit: actually I'm pretty sure you can get away with them not facing the same way but yeah, I'd still move it over a bit. Fix them shoulders and with that arm you mentioned move it out more.
(08-28-2010, 01:34 AM)Solink Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like the front of his pants is his ass Sick
Lol, I'm no good with folds, I'll try fixing that
(08-28-2010, 01:35 AM)StarSock64 Wrote: [ -> ]Fix them shoulders and with that arm you mentioned move it out more.
Will do as well,
Thanks for the Cnc
Sorry, I'm not trying to swamp you with posts but I think I get what I meant a little better now. ...I should really go to sleep. Um, basically with your body alignment, the center of the vest should probably be the center of his body but it doesn't match well with the center of his legs. So you should probably move his vest over to our left, not off his body, but wrap it around if I'm making sense. You'll probably have to move the shoulder to make this move look okay, too.
there's a select few areas on the sprite that don't apply to this so don't comment back with "YEAH BUT WHAT ABOUT" because shut up.

You seem to be shading most of this sprite JUST to have it shaded, shading should add depth to something, it shouldn't be thrown on at the last second "just because". look at the legs for instance, both of them look extremely flat and you seem to have just thrown folds into them because yes. Try shading in an attempt to actually add depth to the sprite
(08-28-2010, 12:21 PM)Track Eleven Wrote: [ -> ]You seem to be shading most of this sprite JUST to have it shaded, shading should add depth to something, it shouldn't be thrown on at the last second "just because". look at the legs for instance, both of them look extremely flat and you seem to have just thrown folds into them because yes. Try shading in an attempt to actually add depth to the sprite
You're definitely right, I really rushed the legs "just to have it done." I'll have to go back and fix it. Thanks
god damn those legs. i dont know what you were thinking, it seems you were doing just great until you reached the waist and decided to fuck it for some strange reason.

if you're having problems with the poses, just use one of the original sprites as a reference, or make a pose yourself and see what would work.
Update, well i tried to fix the shading of the legs, still not completely happy with it. But I think it's much better than the old one. Other stuff I tried to do;
-fix positioning of lower body
-light source in the hat
[Image: fishymanv2.png]
I'm not getting the perspective you are going for.
The hat suggests a partially frontal view, while the face suggests a side view.
His left foot is out of perspective with his left leg (the viewer's right).

Also, you've got some major depth issues going on here, mostly caused by the improper shading.
I really can't tell whats going on with those pants, they look like they are caving inward because of the way you are attempting to shade-define his legs.

Also, I assume you are trying to portray that he has his shirt tucked in, because if not, that shirt is way out of whack. Even if it is tucked in, it still looks a bit weird, the shirt-line is curving up too much.

I think bringing the shirt down in the middle just one or two pixels would go a long way to start fixing these problems. Make his left foot (our right) point more towards the viewer. To fix the head in this view, move the exist eye to the right (his left) one pixel length and add a smaller eye on the far left of his head (his right).

Thats probably not everything, but thats all I've got so far.

EDIT:
Now that I've looked at it fully zoomed, I see there actually are two eyes. My mistake, though his left eye (our right) still needs to be movied over on his face so that the perspective is better.
his face looks like he's looking directly left, but his hat looks more angled..
You've basically changed bothing major aside from the palette of the trousers.

- The head is still looking in a different direction to the body. I would suggest changing the angle of the head so it waces towards us more.
- The waist of the trousers is too high - making it look like he has this massively tall crotch area. Make his shirt longer, and detail and actual top to the trousers instead of them just 'ending' like that.
- He still has his feet splayed outwards from eachother way too far, making him look awkward. The shape of his right foot doesn't match his left, and the way you've only shaded one of them makes it look like they're made of different materials.

You have quite a ways to go.
I think the problem with the legs is that he seems lack a pelvis. It looks like his legs just go on and merge into his abdomen. You should definitely give him a pelvis. He'd be very happy to have a pelvis.
really you should look at something instead of guessing 'cause that's what it seems like you're doing
I'm not guessing, he is missing a pelvis and it will enhance readability if he draws a more distinct pelvis. I don't know how much it will help, because I didn't take the time to go draw a pelvis myself, which is why I said "I think" it's the problem.
Pages: 1 2