The VG Resource

Full Version: DS connection help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you've been paying attention you know that I moved to New York a couple weeks ago. My roommates set up the Linksys router. I tried to log on today to get the Soul Dew in HG, but the DS told me it couldn't connect.
I went to Nintendo, and they told me to log in to the router and change the settings, but they didn't tell me WHAT to change.

What I know;

-The router has to be locked. We live in a NY apartment.
-The symbol next to the router on the DS has a gray lock.
-It gives me no option to put in a password, etc. to access wifi through my DS.

Thanks for the help, tSR. I know you can do it.
http://192.168.1.1/WSecurity.htm

try this link. it's what i use to go into my linksys' wireless settings. the security mode should be set to "WEP" to work for a DS.

that's pretty much all i do when i wanna use wifi on my ds or whatever. as far as i know, ds is the only console that NEEDS to use WEP settings.

hope this helps. :V
So if I do this, will I have to generate a hex code, then type it into the DS? Will this mess up the other computers connected to the router? Thanks.
That depends. (I'm assuming you have a WRT54G, it's what I have)

If the lock is gray, it's most likely set to WPA. DS models before the DSi don't accept WPA, so you'll need to set the router back to WEP settings. While this makes your network much less secure (WEP is relatively easy to crack), you can connect to it.

You'll generally have a code made of random numbers and letters (yes, the hex code you mentioned) and yes, anything else connected to the network will have to reconnect using the hex code rather than the current WPA password. Make sure to write it down somewhere.
either that, or buy one of those nintendo brand USB dongles off the internet

I haven't been able to connect using my DS because my router is set to WPA, and setting it to WEP will just create a huge clusterfuck since everyone in the house has multiple things that connect to the network, so I didn't even bother.
Well damn. That's exactly what we have. Four laptops. Maybe I'll just save up for a DSi...
Thanks!
Wi-fi at the moment is game-specific, meaning using a DSi isn't going to help you at all if you think you can just plug in WPA with your advanced protection and encryption, all DS games use WEP.

You're going to have to adjust your computers to correspond with the new wireless encryption if you go with Shawn and Vipes' suggestion only if they go off wireless. Otherwise you should be very OK.

I usually stay WPA and then switch to WEP only when I need it
yes, while it's completely possible to simply switch to wep only while you're using your DS, having to change it back and forth every time you want to connect gets annoying, not to mention that every time you do it, all the computers will disconnect from the network.

it's expensive, but unless you're willing to permanently set your router to WEP, the best way to go is to buy the nintendo usb dongle
In my experience the nintendo usb adapter is very unreliable, but it's better than nothing
I'd say buy a second router to rout over the previous router. Might cause a lot of compatibility and connection problems, but at least you have both secure internets and insecure internets which you can enable and / or disable at any time by just plugging it out.
it depends on the router.

I tried doing that with a cheapo router that my brother got for free somehow, but apparently it wasn't compatible with the DS, either.