The VG Resource

Full Version: PROJECT PRIORITY (READ ME!!!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
After debating about this project's problem and inactivity, we came up with measures that tries to counter-attack them.

TO DO:
*Mario
*Link
*Pikachu
*Ness
*Samus
*Sukapon
*Little Mac
*Gooey
*One SIMPLE level (Final Destination or Battlefield, for example)

OBSERVATIONS:
1-Do not post anything that doesn't directly contribute to the sprites. Discussing stuff like bosses, character status, game modes, etc. isn't our main goal here. Any posts of this nature will be deleted. If the same person breaks this rule more than once, he will be punished accordingly.
2-The priorities are listed above. Once it is completed, people will decide who should be listed. Do not whine about the list or suggest putting one more character on it.
2,1-This doesn't mean you need to completely stop other characters' sprites to work on the priority ones. Though, you can NOT post them. This is to limit people into making the listed stuff instead of doing other shit.
3-The sprite doesn't need to be 100% complete to be used in the engine; the graphics can be worked afterwards. All we realy need are the animations.
4-Don't try to be better than SSBB. There is no way we're going to be better than an official commercial game in the way we are. Think small, then gradually add stuff as they are completed.
5-This project depends on everyone to be completed. Do not let only one person to make the sprites. He eventually will get tired of making it, thus killing the project. Make sprites constantly, this way people will be more motivated to help.

I believe this covers most of our problems. Any mistake in this post can be edited anytime by me or the staff.

If you want a tl;dr, just read the bold lines.

i think the battlefield would be a better stage than final destination, final destination's simplicity kind of only makes it useful for specific types of battles
(08-26-2010, 01:26 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]2,1-This doesn't mean you need to completely stop other characters' sprites to work on the priority ones.

People WILL abuse this.
fixed and fixed
What we really need is someone to come in here and tell us how this project will never get finished every week or two so people will want to work and prove them wrong again.
imo one thing we should definitely do is simplify the gameplay. smash bros is really complex and on paper, doesn't lend itself well to 2d. if we cut out a few moves and unnecessary animations and take advantage of the 2d instead of trying to work the advantages of using 3d into 2d form, it will probably work out better.
(08-26-2010, 11:04 PM)[fish in space] Wrote: [ -> ]imo one thing we should definitely do is simplify the gameplay. smash bros is really complex and on paper, doesn't lend itself well to 2d. if we cut out a few moves and unnecessary animations and take advantage of the 2d instead of trying to work the advantages of using 3d into 2d form, it will probably work out better.

How do you mean? What part of the gameplay could be made simpler?
well, we could cut out a few attacks (the running attacks just sort of complicate things when running is momentum based, for example) and make it feel more like a 2d game. like, when you play a 2d game, the controls feel tight and responsive, while in a 3d game they feel smoother and a bit more sluggish. if you try and replicate the smoothness in a 2d engine it looks and feels kind of weird.
What part of smash bros is complicated? This is the game that gets made fun of BY street fighter players on a daily basis because it isn't complex (and a lot of other reasons but I don't want to get in to that). Running attacks should stay. Its only Gooey's running attack that's slow and that's a bit of Runouws fault.

When you want a game too simplified you get MvC3.
animation wise, its much more complex than street fighter. and lets face it, a game that uses nearly every facet of the gamecube controller isn't exactly going to have the most intuitive controls on a keyboard. the thing that makes running attacks weird is that, unless we had running as a double tap move instead of momentum based, the window for tilt attacks is really small, since if you hit attack and forward at the same time you do a smash attack and if you wait a bit too long you do a running attack.
I think I get what he is saying. Since we don't have a joystick on the keyboard, certain attacks are much harder to preform. Such as:
Forward attack (Press right and attack)
Dash attack (Press attack while moving right at full speed)
Smash attack (Press right and attack at the same time)
These attacks can be very difficult to use because the controls are so similar.

But didn't they have the same type of thing in SSBB if you used only the wiimote without the nunchuck?
If the player taps forward and immediately hits A, they'll do a Smash attack.
If they're still pressing it when the "window of opportunity" frames are over (which can be easily controlled via an input variable that very rapidly goes down when a direction is pressed), they will do a Strong attack. Smash works close enough to this system to the point where control will be simple and easy to understand.

Running can be done by double-tapping forward. KOF does this just fine.

~problem solved~
Since I'm not good with characters, I will start a level/topic soon. Is that okay with you all?
Levels are small enough to be condensed into one singular topic, so let's try to avoid cluttering the forums.

Also, be sure to mention that it is not a suggestion topic so it doesn't get shat up with 9001 pages of bs.
We're only doing one level, and I think it's been decided on. Do you plan on actually starting the spriting, Iceman?
Pages: 1 2 3 4