The VG Resource

Full Version: And Evil shall reign o'er all.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Okay, so, this might take a bit of explaining, but here goes:

I'm unsure as to how exactly this started, but I, along with some friends of mine, have fabricated The Institute of Evil. In this, we have placed out "members" as high ranking officials, with the C.E.O (my friend who first conceived the idea) at the top. This has expanded to include many characters such as The Egregious Professor of Pyro-Nectromantics (based on me, who raises people from the dead and sets fire to them), and The Legasaurus (A cross between a dinosaur and a leg). I was bored, and decided to begin spriting some of these characters, as there is a possibility of a video game based around this idea at some point, so I thought I might get a head-start.

Currently, I only have the C.E.O, but I would like some pointers on the style and the sprite itself first, before making any others. The style is supposed to be quite detailed and reasonably de-saturated, but I fear it may be lacking in readability. The two versions here are one with a black outline, and one without.

[Image: jonnysprite.png]
Institute of Evil.

Very creative.
Outline version looks kinda... wrong. The character is probably small enough for you to go Castlevania-style, and remove the facial features as a design choice. He'd look alright with just the 'scary shiny glasses'.

You're also suffering from pillowshading quite a bit. For all your 'detail', the highlights do nothing to show clothing folds.
1up poses itt
He needs some shoulders.
(08-26-2010, 11:50 AM)Track Eleven Wrote: [ -> ]1up poses itt

Not enough air hump and checkered clothing.
(08-26-2010, 12:01 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Not enough air hump and checkered clothing.
no but he's sure got the generic standing pose part of it down
that doesnt look 1up at all.
same old shading problems still present on this one, and probably they will presist.
In fact, Hoeloe, can you do me a favour and post the sprite in flat colours? I kinda want to try a shading edit (or others might want to, IDK).
its all about contrast and proper use of hues.

and not overshade everything for the sake of making things smooth(it cant be smooth if you cont give it a proper balance between the hues).
Okay, so I redid the shading on his clothing, removed nose and mouth and added some shoulders.

I see
almost zero change
the shoulders helped but i literally can't see much else thats different
Highlights are now limited more towards the lightsource (top right), and are no longer random blobs on the coat. Take a look at the shape of the highlighting on his coat, as that's the main change.

I did totally reshade all the clothing, though.
then reshade it with a better palette because the one you're using is way too dark to see any changes
Are you sure it's not just your moniter? The palette is not really that dark at all.

Also: Flat colours, as per request.

Pages: 1 2 3