The VG Resource

Full Version: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
This is not going to be finished.

I'm talking as a regular member, don't take my comment too seriously just because I have a purple name

Don't get me wrong, guys, I like the sprites and all the effort, but I really doubt this is ever going to be finished. First of all, you're trying to outdo SSBB, and I don't think it's a good idea at all. Of course, everyone wants to play a game better than Brawl, but it's just TOO FAR AWAY from us.

I doubt you people can reach the SSBB roster, make additional ones, make items, stages and all, principally in this pace. It's a utopia. Expect to carry this project for YEARS if you're really willing to finish it.

All I can suggest by now is to make the original 8 and two different levels. Completing a small goal like this might incentivate more people to help the project. This way, we can add other characters, one by one, as they're finished, and complete the project faster.
I'd have to agree with you there, Gorsal. I've noticed that production on this project has nearly grinded to a standstill lately, and there's no way a project of this scale could be completed without lowering the character and stage count. Part of the reason why McLeod's Super Smash Flash project is moving so quickly is because he has a dozen devs working around the clock to ensure that his demos meet the deadline they set for themselves, or at least somewhere close.

I think that's another thing that might provide some more incentive: deadlines. Runouw's a great programmer, and if even a small portion of the characters and stages are completely sprited, and a demo of those working characters and stages are released, seeing everything in action might make those involved in the project more enthusiastic about their progress.

The project could always continue how it is, spriting in free time, but I think that a bit of time pressure would do some good.
(08-24-2010, 08:38 AM)ThePoopPupu Wrote: [ -> ]I'd have to agree with you there, Gorsal. I've noticed that production on this project has nearly grinded to a standstill lately, and there's no way a project of this scale could be completed without lowering the character and stage count. Part of the reason why McLeod's Super Smash Flash project is moving so quickly is because he has a dozen devs working around the clock to ensure that his demos meet the deadline they set for themselves, or at least somewhere close.

except another reason why they move so quickly is because they rush everything and they can't even decide on a specific style.

to be honest the way I'm looking at it, everyone has too much to handle. I mean going back to the shitty Super Flash Bros Melee game mcleod made (and I'm talking from the first one) was because at first he made it a small project based off smash bros, he didn't add to much, nor did he add to little. He just made something he could have handled alone and probably a little help from his freinds.

To be honest for a fangame, we should probably tone down the roster into something we can handle, remove characters we don't need and probably rethink how we can make this work out. After that make it then release one version, then we can make another version with more stuff we could possibly put on (like an add on so to speak) for the next version.
...I didn't realise this was actually going to be made into a game; I figured all the moveset design was theoretical to assist with the spriting. And upon completion, the sheets would be uploaded to tSR.

Like fuck you're gonna be able to make a working game on this scale with no dedicated staff.
As a programmer (used to do some game related programming on the side in my free time), I have to say that I agree with the statements made. There are a number of factors that I can see as to why most projects end up in development hell:
  • Lack of motivation.
  • Lost of interest.
  • Trying to achieve too huge of a goal immediately without starting with smaller steps and building up.
  • Too small of a team, or having the existing team all over the place without a single focus.
  • Sprites are much more "expensive" than 3D models.
  • Lack of urgency to meet a set deadline.
  • No profit to be gained?

There's probably more reasons than those listed here, but these are the ones I recognize as a programmer.
posting itt to say that no one gives a shit and the past million times someone said exactly what gorsal did, someone(tyvon) came in and said something like

"This project is really still here just to give people a chance to sprite and integrate themselves into the community, who even gives a shit if it never gets finished? This place is pretty harsh to new members and the smash bros project is one of the few places where new members are (usually) free to come and integrate themselves into TSR without the fear of being blasted by harsh comments"
p.s. i read none of this thread
then it's not working because this is pratically stopped? I dunno

I see some activities here, but it's EXTREMELY rare. Also most of these times, it's people posting useless stuff or NinspriterX posting some sprite bases.

It's not working, people aren't spriting. Hell, how can a new member sprite something if the members don't, too? :I Not saying that most people join here not for making sprites, but to request them (which is a problem we dealt not too long ago).
There is no direction for where this project is going to. People help too much increasing the game theorical content but there's no action to concret it. I say we need a director, someone who takes the final word with no complaining, else we will get stuck everytime. Also, just to refresh, the main objective of the project is to get sheets for games, not the game itself.
People like coming up with content more than they like working on it. I've tried to get people active and into it and excited, but it usually only lasts for a week, then goes back into stagnation. The biggest bump we've gotten, ironically, is when we scrapped the whole thing and started over.
The problem with tSR on the whole is that we don't have a dedicated team who wants to make a game. That's not how we came together. Say what you want about MFGG, but they can get shit done. Unless anyone has an idea on how to make this project soar, I'm just going to let it continue as it is.
And how about the Modern Genesis project, then? That's even worse compared to the SSBB project :o
I guess what you need is a target which is easy to get to. You'd probably want 4-8 characters which have different fighting styles, as to give variety... or have similar fighting styles so the programming is easier. Have 4 stages to use which have been done, or are relatively easy to create.

I myself am not a spriter, but that's only because I haven't had much experience. I've only successfully created 1 of my own sprites, but that was using another sprite as a basis (feet, legs, hair etc). I could try to help, but I guess I'm not skilled enough to actually sprite. Yay for newbie.
Its just that there's no real motivation for anyone here to do these sort of things as a few people have already pointed out. Not to mention that a number of people here including myself while interested in the project don't really have a good way to contribute since we can't really sprite.
what if we use an even simpler, but good-looking style for this? What I see is that people is trying to give a lot of details again, and it's going back to the old style.

Maybe this is too radical since the style had just changed and all, but...
No more style overhaul pleeeeaaaasssseeeeeee.
I thought so

so we could set a small objective (at least, the basics to get a demo out) so people would be more interested in this. We also could make the sprite animations choppy/with undetailed frames so it can be worked on later.

It is important to do the essential things first. Then those can be addressed quite easily.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15