The VG Resource

Full Version: Quick Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it OK to rip sprites from flash games?
For example I wanted to rip Finn and Jake from Righteous Quest.
[Image: finntest.png]
6/10, almost the right place to post this

almost

almost
Oops, Sorry where was i supposed to post this.
Sprite discussion.
Why your sprite would be significant to improve tSR is beyond me.
Moved
I don't think it'll work becuse they are vectors, or too much like it. Ripping them would take TOO MUCH time and the end result would be dissapointing.
it doesn't seem like they would be popular enough.
They'd take a whole load of effort to rip, and the only thing they can really be used for is flash games/movies.
Which would be considered rip-offs anyway.
Even though they're vectors, I think it's still possible.

Somebody ripped a Shadow the Hedgehog flash game (http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_comp...index.html)
so I suppose if they're more like sprites instead of vectors, they should be acceptable.
Its not time consuming see i did this in the matter of minutes.
[Image: finnandjake.png]
I not done yet but its not hard at all to get them.
even if you really want to rip a flash game, at least decompile the flash file and dump the objects properly instead of using screencaps. the edges of those vectors are partially transparent and antialiased, so any other way would end fucked up, like some of these arlready are.
(08-23-2010, 08:19 AM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]Even though they're vectors, I think it's still possible.

Somebody ripped a Shadow the Hedgehog flash game (http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_comp...index.html)
so I suppose if they're more like sprites instead of vectors, they should be acceptable.

That doesn't look like those were vector graphics drawn in flash. To me, it looks like those are raster images, probably drawn in a program similar to photoshop, so, no, not vectors at all. You can't really rip vector graphics like this, for the same reason you can't rip 3D models. Albeit with more limitation, vectors are capable of being scaled, rotated, skewed, and just about anything else without losing any detail.
those shadow ones are actually screencaps of the 3D models from the game at a side view

But yes, you're correct. If these adventure time "sprites" are displayed as rasters rather than vectors (even with all the AA) then they should be rippable.